We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Backup and restore no longer works

Marg114

Likes # 0

I have a Windows 7 Aspire 5750G Laptop. Yesterday I installed a new Font that I inadvertently installed a toolbar with it. I can't remember the name of the programe, but when I tried to uninstall it, it wasn't there, so I tried to restore my laptop to an earlier date, now nothing works. All I get is The backup and restore application could not start due to an internal error: Class not registered (0X80040154). can someone help please.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 1

AdwCleaner will uninstall unwanted toolbars

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

Try this -

Type cmd in the search bar and press enter.

On the command prompt type chkdsk and press enter.

If it finds any errors, type chkdsk /f to repair them.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

A link would have helped!! > http://adwcleaner.soft32.com/

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Marg114 - note that SillBill's response is how to remove unwanted toolbar.

My response is to the error number you have given Class not registered (0X80040154)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I cannot vouch for this link - do check it is ok!

Error fix

Before that I would run Malawarebytes or Superantispyware, if you have them, to check for malaware. A link to Malawarebytes:

Malawarebytes

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

john bunyan - WOT doesn't like the Error Fix site for me - all red - don't know what it is like for you?

Like this post
Marg114

Likes # 0

Hi when I typed in cmd I got this: Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode

Like this post
Marg114

Likes # 0

Hi when I typed in cmd I got this: Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Northumberland

I had not checked it - sorry. Therefore, Marg 114, do not use it!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Marg114 - Type cmd in the search bar and press enter.

On the command prompt type chkdsk and press enter.- to run in elevated mode right click on cmd and select Run as Aministrator.

If it finds any errors, type chkdsk /f to repair them.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4203735/backup-and-restore-no-longer-works/#ixzz2Ij96e58q

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days