We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista Product Key Not Accepted After Re-Install

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Toshiba Satellite with damaged hard drive. New drive installed, run Vista disc. All OK until I type in the product key. 'Appears not to be a valid Vista key'. The COA sticker is a little worn, but quite legible, so I'm pretty sure the code is correct. Any suggestions as to where to go from here? Original version and disc are for Home Premium.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmmm. Spoke to a very nice lady in India who is convinced the key is incorrect and suggesting I contact Toshiba to get the correct one. I'm not holding my breath!

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Copied from lotvic's post "Most of the keys on the Stickers have been disabled from online activation (that key is different one to the Manufacturers Factory pre-activated key that was used for the original install) and now have to be phone activation."

Sounds like you need Toshiba's OEM code.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

At least they should be able to use it for 30 days while you try to pry the code out of Toshiba!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have you tried the auto telephone activation process?

" If you cannot activate Windows Vista over the Internet If you are re-installing Windows or reactivating Windows, the activation process may not be completed successfully when you try to activate Windows Vista over the Internet by using the Windows Activation Wizard. If this occurs, you should activate Windows over the telephone.

To activate Windows Vista over the telephone, follow these steps:

1.Click Start , and then click Computer.

1. Click System properties on the toolbar, and then click 'Click here to activate Windows now' in the Windows activation area.

3.The Windows Activation Wizard starts.

4.Click Use the automated telephone system in the Windows Activation Wizard."

From here.

Apologies if already tried.

Like this post
bovthedog

Likes # 0

Had this problem with XP and auto activation would not accept original OEM product key. I got 'this is an invalid product key'. Finished up making a phone call and was given new product key.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 - sounds like your Indian Lady wasn't up to speed!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

There is a UK number why not try that.

This looks like their free Number for the UK.0800 018 8354

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

That was the number I rang that ended up in India. Helpful chap told me that my key was valid, but that something in the OS was preventing it being accepted. The disc I'd been using was a Vista upgrade disc. I tried using an old Dell SP1 disc for a fresh install. It didn't require the COA to be inputted during install - when I went to activate on line, it asked for a different Key - typed in the one from the COA and, voila, activated successfully. Another lesson learnt!

Like this post  
SillBill

Likes # 0

If at first.......

lol, great outcome!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

SillBill - yes - I hate being beaten!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...