We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista Product Key Not Accepted After Re-Install

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Toshiba Satellite with damaged hard drive. New drive installed, run Vista disc. All OK until I type in the product key. 'Appears not to be a valid Vista key'. The COA sticker is a little worn, but quite legible, so I'm pretty sure the code is correct. Any suggestions as to where to go from here? Original version and disc are for Home Premium.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Found this online "OEM copies do sometimes have this problem. If you are sure you are installing the same version of Windows as your product key, install Windows without the product key if necessary and activate using the free phone activation (if online activation is not working, and you make the effort to phone up, Microsoft assume you are telling the truth and activate your copy of Windows anyway) This should fix the problem."

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Yes do the phone activation,it is maybe a little long winded but it will work.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You may have mixed up 0 O D or B 8

At what point in the install were you putting the Product key in? It is best to not put it in at the beginning (just click on Next to skip it and skip the auto activation when online part as well) You can put the product key in after (you have 30 days)

You will prob have to (as SillBill said) telephone to activate the product key if it won't do it online.

Most of the keys on the Stickers have been disabled from online activation (that key is different one to the Manufacturers Factory pre-activated key that was used for the original install) and now have to be phone activation.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe try it one more time just before you phone just in case you got one of the letters mixed up.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

I practically always have to use a magnifying glass to be absolutely sure what the printed letters are!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks Lotvic et al - I've had a strong magnifying glass on it. If a number/letter looks marginal, I've tried to alternatives with no success. It doesn't get as far as activation - the message appears when the code has been typed in. Just in the process of trying again.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Just had a look at one of my COA Keys, none of the letters/numbers are ambiguous! Miracles never cease!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The recovery discs would have worked, if they were burnt.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

rdave. Very true, but I've found very few people bother. I'f I'm setting up a new one for them, I do it for them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'