We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Data recovery from faulty hard drive

karen229

Likes # 0

Hi, Can anyone recommend some who offers data recovery? I have a faulty hard drive which Dell had to replace, and stupidly I hadn't backed up photos and some important documents. I've retained the faulty hard drive in the hope that a data recovery service can retrieve some of all of my files. I would rather use a firm who is recommended. Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

DIY if drive will run by connecting in a caddy to your PC.

A recovery company will cost you an arm and a leg.

Like this post
karen229

Likes # 0

Sorry, I'm a real novice and don't know what a caddy is. I was all set to send it off to a data recovery company but then went online to read reviews, and was put off, which is why I'd like a recommendation. I don't mind paying if we can get our stuff back.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Paying could mean many hundreds of pounds. But if you want to go down that route google for data recovery services

A caddy is a box that you put a hard disk in and connect it to a USB port. Google external caddy. You would need one that is compatible with your hard disk type (basically IDE or SATA) and size (2.5" or 3.5")

Like this post
karen229

Likes # 0

Thanks for your comments, but I'm also very wary of trying DIY because I've heard that it needs to be someone experienced because otherwise they can make it impossible for anyone to recover the data. Is this right?

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

When you say the drive is faulty, what are the symptoms?

This is important as the big question is whether running (powering) the drive up is likely to do any further harm? If it is possible that running the drive up could cause further harm you might be better off with a data recovery service, but even then there is no guarantee that they can retrieve the data.

Like this post
karen229

Likes # 0

The computer wouldn't turn on at all. Windows wouldn't run, it told us to press F1 or F2, but even when we did that nothing would happen. Dell managed to talk me through a way of doing a diagnostics test, from which they decided that the hard drive was faulty. I realise there's no guarantee with a data recovery service, but would obviously like to try and get the data back if we can.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

My local PC repair shop would would it for about £40. Have you any local shops of this kind? The big stores like PC World overcharge, IMHO.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I think the "local PC repair shop" approach would be no more than what you could do yourself (i.e. put the hard drive in a caddy) and give it a try, with the attendant risks. But if you are not comfortable with putting it in a caddy yourself, that is certainly one path you could consider.

Professional data recovery services are in a different league entirely (and hence their cost).

Turning to the hard drive itself, it seems likely that any damage has already been done. But such damage may or may not be serious. There are so many possibilities I won't even start to go into them here.

Bottom line is if you absolutely want to minimise any chance of further damage and are prepared to pay the high fees, then maybe that is the option for you. Apart from their being no guarantees, you might also end up paying a high fee for what could (with hindsight) have been done at much lower cost.

With the limited information available, my personal judgement call is that the risk of further damage is small, but if that risk were to be realised it could be catastrophic.

Only you can decide based on how much you really want to retrieve the data and how much you are prepared to pay.

One final word - if you choose to go down the data recovery route, please research the companies first and make sure you select one with a good track record.

Good luck!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Basically if it is a laptop you use it would cost £4-£5 for a caddy from Amazon which you insert your old hard drive and connect it to the USB port on your computer.

Then transfer what you want from your old hard drive to your computer.

Caddy

If you wanted to try it yourself you would probably have to give us your model number of the computer so that we could make sure you order the proper one.

Those ones were for laptops.

If you don't think that you could do it yourself maybe you have a friend that can help.

Like this post
PcGuy01

Likes # 0

Problem with DIY is that you are using a laptop. When using online recovery software you need to make your main drive ( drive which has the files on it ) an external- cause if you recover data using the same drive it can cause total loss of data forever.

You will need another drive with windows,etc on it to retrieve the data from the faulty drive ( with the faulty drive as a slave/external ). So I would recommend taking it in to a local PC shop, to prevent any damage to the drive or laptop.

Note: Depending on the fault of the drive- data recovery may not even be possible.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added