We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Photoshop. SSDs for scratch disk?

hssutton

Likes # 0

I'm about to load all my programs on my new build, Asrock P67 pro motherboard. Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3330 + 32Gb ram. The question is should I use my 240Gb SSD as a scratch disk and load all my programs on my Sata 3 500Gb Hard drive or vice versa.

At present on my old machine I'm using the SSD as the 'C' drive, but have read conflicting reports regarding the use of the SSD as a scratch disk when using photoshop/Lightroom. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

After reading all your replies and spending all evening searching the web on the subject, I've decided to load programs onto the Sata 3 500Gb. The 240 SSD will be a dedicated scratch disk along with a smaller 90Gb SSD.

I have a couple of spare Sata drives which I will install, one for Photos and use the other for miscellaneous files. Obviously all my many thousands of Raw & Tiff files will be backed up to external drives.

Thanks for all your input.

John I'm sure you'll just love CS6 it's a great program, but with one major drawback. all the latest upgrades to CS6 are only available to users of Adobe Creative Cloud on monthly subscription.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014