We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virtual Online Drive - is there a solution?

wizwilson

Likes # 0

I'm sick and tired of corrupt memory sticks and external drives leading to lost data.

I use my own laptop for personal and business use, while me wife uses two laptops for both business and personal.

What I'm trying to find is an online virtual drive that will appear in 'My Computer' as any other drive would and will allow direct access of the files within it (ie, not through a web browser). I also want to be able to batch the contents so that if I want to delete a folder, I don't have to individually delete the 100 files within it first! I also want all three laptops to be able to access the same drive.

The other issue is that my laptop has a measly 50GB harddrive, so I need to be able to access the contents of the virtual drive without it trying to sync the contents to my laptop and overloading the drive here.

The closest thing I've found up to now appears to be Livedrive, but it doesn't allow batch processing of files and relies on a web browser.

Am I asking too much? Am I barking up the wrong tree and there is a completely different that I should put in place?

Thanks

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Take a look at this It's used by huge numbers of both business and personal users, and it works perfectly - I use it myself.

I also use this which works just as well.

Like this post
wizwilson

Likes # 0

But my understanding of dropbox is that it syncs its folder to each pc and I am therefore limited by the size of my laptop's harddrive.

Like this post
wizwilson

Likes # 0

Also, still running XP on my old faithful laptop so can't use MS Skydrive and unwilling to pay $50 per month to dropbox.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

wizwilson,

If you think you need to pay $50 per month for the service you require on Dropbox that would indicate you want up to 500 Gig of storage. Unless you have a very fast internet connection, both upload and download, you will be looking at quite a slow service.

Most internet connection speeds are asymmetrical with the upload speed being about a tenth to a fifth of the download speed. Uploading your initial batch of data could take a very long time.

Peter.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Like this post
wizwilson

Likes # 0

Just in case anyone else is looking into this, I went with Google Drive in the end as it can be used as a repository rather than a mirror and came in at a reasonable price.

Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?