We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Making changes to source code

janeyd

Likes # 0

I want to save the Google Analytic snippet code to my website but it won't save. I access code by right click and view source code, I then paste snippet just before final tag and save, but when I come out and go back in code has disappeared. Can you help with what I am doing wrong? Thanks

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

When you say that you "access code by right click and view source code" what exactly do you mean - are you doing this in a web browser?

You can't insert Google analytics code snippets that way, it must be done via your site design application, whichever one you're using. Most good WYSIWYG web design applications have a menu option to "insert code snippet", which is how you deal with the analytics code. Either that, or you can insert the snippet in the application's 'Code view' mode.

Like this post
jonasmarsh621

Likes # 0

View source code is like inspect element right? Or am I wrong?

Like this post
janeyd

Likes # 0

Thank you for your help. Yes I was trying to access through web browser. Unfortunately the company that set up the web site has gone into liquidation so I cannot ask them for help. I can access back-end for editing text and pictures etc. but can't see how I can view code for the whole page. Is this possible or am I going to have to start again with the whole site?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

As fourm member says, you'll need to download the site files into some web design software before you can make any amendments or additions to the html pages.

We can talk you through the process if you like, but you'll need to get software first. If you post a link to your site one of us may be able to tell you which software was used to design it originally.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......