We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

need a psu for new system but its all confusing me.

r1ckyboy1982

Likes # 0

Hi im building a new budget system: phenom 2 965 BE 8 gb corsair vengeance 500gb seagate barracuda hdd hd 7770 gpu 960GM/U3S3 FX mother board

not sure what budget psu to go for. I want to try and get the cheapest I can but need be safe. Wandered if anyone can recommend a good one for this sytem. thanks.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Don't skimp on the PSU. The cheap ones are very inefficient and will cost more in electricity over the lifetime of the computer. You should probably be looking at 600 Watts to be safe and give room for upgrading in the future and the difference in price is not that great.

Like this post
r1ckyboy1982

Likes # 0

Its all this dual and single rail stuff thats getting me and the ampage.

I have seen similar systems recommended this: link

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

As alanrwood quite rightly points out do not buy a cheapo PSU as they are really poor value and quality. Whereas the one you have linked to is more than enough and Corsair a good brand, may I suggest spending another £8 or so and getting this one. 500W.

This will supply all your needs even if you upgrade.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

I would second what Chronos says. At 430W it could turn out to be limiting if you update your graphics card etc later on and then you would need to buy a more powerful one anyway. It is also never good policy to run a PSU near to its maximum as they then generate more heat and become less efficient and they get noisy as the fan then runs at full speed all the time. Also stressing the component will lead to a shorter working life.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Try this site

Bonus ----- I bought a similar one when this budget PC was young and have been rewarded with neither glitch nor much sound from it. The large fan must have a lot to do with being quiet - low rpm little sound.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

To answer a couple of your other questions, the single rail/multi rail option is not significant as there are advocates of both systems and it doesnt really matter which you choose.

You mentioneed "amps" but I guess you meant "watts". The point is that a PSU runs at its most efficient when half loaded and the more current you pull the harder it has to work, the noisier it gets, and the shorter its lifespan. Provided you dont install any high end graphics cards then a figure of 250 watts is about the max a PC will draw which, as the other guys suggested, a 500 watt supply from a recognised brand should do fine.

The other thing to bear in mind is that unbranded PSUs should be avoided as their rated values can be a lot less than they are actually capable of. With PSUs its very much a case of you get what you pay for.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi Bris

I think you mean that the rated value can be a lot MORE than what they are actually capable of but you are right about getting what you pay for.

The cost of a 500 Watt PSUis not proportionally that much more thgan a 350/400 watt one so I would still go for a 500 Watt one and have some spare in the bag in case of later updates.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Hi Alan

You are right I did get it the wrong way round, thanks for the correction.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback