We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Firefox 18.1 seems to install but won't start up

MuDelta
Resolved

Likes # 0

Anyone had this problem? How to overcome it?

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

Oops! that should be 18.01

D

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

Oops! that should be 18.01

D

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Maybe uninstall it and try another download, mine has been crashing constantly for the last hour or so.

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

SillBill Made no difference still won't start. I found nothing wrong with 18.0 and have reverted to it. I will let it settle for a bit and try again in a few days (weeks?). thanks for your advice. I am not going to mark the question answered yet.

D

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

STOP PRESS After trying to run 18.01 several times it suddenly started up and is now working normally. I don't believe I did anything different this time but the Gods must have smiled somewhere!!

None of this post is going to be much help to anyone!

D

Like this post  
difarn

Likes # 0

Just for information a friend had a problem with Firefox 18.1 crashing every time she closed a tab. The solution was to disable Norton safe search.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Mine was also crashing every time I minimized it, last night - today its working fine - think it had a good night's sleep, lol.

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

Since the "solution" to the above post, I have had trouble with startup of my machine (W7). Often I am told there is a problem and windows will try to repair it - and does but I find firefox 18.0 installed instead of the 18.01 which I was running successfully before. Anyone else found this? I have decided to stay with 18.0 in the meantime.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not got Norton on your computer have you.it has been known to create a few problems.

Go into Command prompt and type sfc /scannow and see if it finds any problems.

Or try with the firewall turned off.

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

Jock1e No Norton. I am using MS Security Essentials which I have done for some time. I had another go with 18.01 today and it is still OK but what will happen when I S/D and restart? We shall see. I have just noticed that in the Firefox programme a number so folder names are almost identical e.g. "defaults" and "defaults(2)" "modules" & "modules(2)" etc. but others are not e.g. "greprefs(2)" and "chrome(2)" - no "greyprefs" or "chrome". The unmarked folders are the newest, all dated today, and those marked (2) are dated 1/12/12 (when I may have up dated but I can't be sure). Also, the folders have different contents; generally the newer folders contain many fewer files. Can this be of significance and can I safely delete the older folders or should I delete everything and start from scratch?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July