We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

bsod

willsonrj

Likes # 0

Hi, can't get beyond blue screen (and only get that when disabling auto restart), no safe mode, no command prompt. Just keeps rebooting. Hardware tests ok. Any other options other than re format. In middle off tax return!

Thanks, Richard

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Restore XP

Boot to the command prompt and type:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press Enter and follow the on-screen prompts to restore to an earlier date/time

if will not boot to command prompt then:

Restore from recovery console

boot from the XP CD. Start Windows Setup and press R to access the recovery console. Select your Windows installation, then type the administrator password – press Enter if there isn't one. Now enter the following commands:

CD C:\ CD "system volume information_resto~1" DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose) CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY Registrymachine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System COPY Registrymachine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software COPY Registrymachine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam COPY Registrymachine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security COPY Registryuser_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Type the command exit to close the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

Like this post
willsonrj

Likes # 0

subsequently ran chkdsk /p. first time stated found and fixed one or more errors. second and then third time i ran chkdsk /p it seemed clean

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Sorry to see that the disk check didn't help Richard.

You may find that an XP System Restore fixes this problem. However, because you're unable to boot into XP at all, you're going to need another way of doing it. The "Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset" is a bootable CD that contains a cut-down version of XP bundled with various maintenance and recovery tools. Have a read here on how to use MDaRT to execute a System Restore.

Note that MDaRT is no longer available from Microsoft, so have a look at the instructions here for details of an alternative download location. Note too that the MDart CD you'll create is a fully-functional 30-day trial but that's obviously plenty of time to fix your PC.

Like this post
willsonrj

Likes # 0

fb, in via repair console and i'm getting parameter not valid on

CD C:\ CD "system volume information_resto~1" DIR

Like this post
willsonrj

Likes # 0

hi fb, based on one of your previous posts i have tried a few other things.

from the root i have entered cd system~1

to which i get access i denied

Like this post
willsonrj

Likes # 0

sorry as you,ve probably orked out there a typo in the previous post should read.... access is denied.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Did it ask for a password when you started recovery console?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

**If it won't let you in and you can't restore using the MDart CD.

Use the MDart CD to get all you files from the drive**

and do a reinstall of XP

Access the copy of the operating system on the hard drive. If manufacturers do not supply a Windows XP CD with the purchase of your new computer, they have most definitely stored a copy in your hard drive for later use. You can easily access this copy of the CD on your hard drive to completely reinstall or format partitions on your computer.

Back up your personal data including photos, pictures, documents, favourites, passwords and settings to CD/DVD/USB.

Make sure you have your Windows product key/serial number. This could be located on the computer itself, or in the original packaging it was supplied with. If you do not have one, look in the registry or contact your manufacturer immediately for more support regarding the issue.

Click on My Computer then C: WINDOWS then i386(Sometimes C:\i386). The file you are looking for is called "winnt32.exe".

Open this application and proceed with the instructions given. It will lead you through 5 simple phases that will wipe out your computer and reinstall the operating system.

Get your product key ready to enter it. Make sure you agree with the terms that should be provided when using the winnt32.exe application.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try this for access denied

Make sure that you are in the root folder of the partition for which you want to gain access to the System Volume Information folder.

For example, to gain access the C:\System Volume Information folder, make sure that you are in the root folder of drive C (at a "C:\" prompt).

Type the following line, and then press ENTER:

cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F

Make sure to type the quotation marks as indicated. This command adds the specified user to the folder with Full Control permissions.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat, apologies for butting in but I think the reason that Richard is getting the "Access Denied" message is due to the limitations of which folders can be accessed with the Recovery Console - have a look here and scroll down to the "Restrictions and limitations of the Recovery Console" section.

Your copy and paste regarding modifying the permissions for the System Restore folder won't work in this case because cacls isn't a supported Recovery Console command.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015