We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

bsod

willsonrj

Likes # 0

Hi, can't get beyond blue screen (and only get that when disabling auto restart), no safe mode, no command prompt. Just keeps rebooting. Hardware tests ok. Any other options other than re format. In middle off tax return!

Thanks, Richard

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Thought that might be the case which is why I posted the previous post on how to do a clean install after recovering files if possible.

I usually use a Linux CD to recover files and move to other media before attempting to repair / reinstall any windows system.

:0)

Like this post
willsonrj

Likes # 0

hi,

not sure what happened but thought that i had posted a few hours ago, can't recall complete details so in brief this is where i am.....

I'm sure the advice was good but failed with fb's suggestions

created msdart but could n't get it to complete loading got bsod.

I have a recovery cd, it loads two options, full destructive restore and restore with back up. when i tab to restore with backup i can't select.

I think that my options are looking limited....

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I'm sure the advice was good but failed with fb's suggestions"

I think this is where FB got his info from and the formatting on that webpage makes the steps required easier to follow. However, by default, it won't work as access to the System Restore locations is blocked. There is a way to get round this in XP Professional and that's to open the Local Security Policy console and enable Recovery Console: Allow floppy copy and access to all drives and all folders. Unfortunately, because you can't get into Windows, you're unable to change the policy.

"created msdart but could n't get it to complete loading got bsod."

That makes me suspect a hardware problem. If it is then reinstalling Windows won't help. I'd recommend testing your RAM for errors using a bootable CD. I normally use the Microsoft one but I've noticed that it's no longer available on their website. I've heard that Memtest86 is also a good free one though.

Good luck.

Like this post
willsonrj

Likes # 0

Hi squirrel,

I cleaned and reseated the memory. I tried booting with each of the cards removed, is it likely that both went together? I took the pc to pc world early yesterday morning and they tested all the hw and found no faults. How good there diagnostic s/w is I don't know.

More details on erd..

ERD commander starts

Registering network components (2/3) Failed to install network adapter -- check WIMBOM

pressed return (only option)

Then goes to bsod ....

Page fault in nonpaged area

0x00000050

I'll test the memory via the link you sent.

Then I'll either restore or set fire to it.

Thanks for all your help.

Richard

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Memory seems OK if you have tried one at a time unlikely both failed together.

I think you are going to have to borrow a XP home CD and do a repair install.

Sounds like corrupt windows files causing your continued problems.

I'll leave you in the capable hands of SS as I will be away for the next couple of days.

Like this post
willsonrj

Likes # 0

hi,

i have the manufacturers system recovery cd (only option available full destructive restore) would a repair install from xp home cd be better/work if i can get hold of one?

thanks for all your help

richard

Like this post
willsonrj

Likes # 0

whilst writing previous post after approx 15 mins memtest-86 has come up with a message that seems fairly straight forward: -

pass complete, no errors, press esc to exit

however reading the nfo on their site it may (!?) indicate that test 11 takes 90 mins...

Test 11 [Bit fade test, 90 min, 2 patterns]

The bit fade test initializes all of memory with a pattern and then sleeps for 5 minutes. Then memory is examined to see if any memory bits have changed. All ones and all zero patterns are used.

and the top right seems to indicate that tests are still continuing.

does it keep looping or is it testing each card? or am i making this more complicated that it is and it does what it says on the tin and that it is complete?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

A repair install with a proper XP CD should retain all your data (but nothings perfect)

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for the updates Richard.

I've never used that memory checker before so can't comment. However, if you're in doubt as to how long to leave it running then let it carry on checking for a few hours, or even over-night, to be on the safe side.

Having said that, because you still get BSoDs with individual modules removed then I agree with you guys as it's unlikely to be a RAM-related problem.

A malware infection is another thing that springs to mind and it's certainly mentioned on this Microsoft webpage. If you're still keen on trying to fix your problem then download, update, and scan using the Kaspersky Rescue Disk bootable CD. I posted to this thread recently on its use so have a look at the first two posts from myself. Note that it's essential to update Kaspersky's definitions before starting the scan.

If you can get your hands on a Microsoft XP CD then you could build another XP-based boot disk to recover your data prior to a repair or re-install, or even to execute FB's partial System Restore (by copying the Registry hives across from the "System Volume information" folder etc). A BartPE disk would be good for this task. Or you could burn yourself a Linux bootable CD - but you'd need someone else to help you with that.

Like this post
willsonrj

Likes # 0

Hi squirrel,

I let the memory test run for a few hours, it does seem to keep looping. Memory tested ok.

Kaspersky was also clean. Reassuring to see some data.

If I can get hold of a xp CD will it be different/better from the bootable xp CD I created from your link at the beginning of this correspondence?

Thanks again, Richard

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features