We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

desoldering problem

john12

Likes # 0

Hi and thanks for reading this post.

I have a bad capacitor on a motherboard and in order to change it i purchased a reel of desoldering wick from ebay, just a generic brand from china.

After applying onto the joint and plenty of heat the wick would not draw up any of the solder, then i used a large blob of solder paste which helps the solder to melt more easily, but nothing.

I was advised that "Goot" is a good brand of desoldering wick so back i went on ebay, when the stuff arrived it was useless.

Has anyone actually purchased desoldering wick which works first time without any of all this hassle i am experiencing, where is a reliable source which will deliver what they advertise and not rip me off.

Many thanks in advance. John.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Tech Helproom from Business tech help.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I use a desolderer rather than a wick. It's a little spring loaded vacuum device. Had variable results with it, but have succeeded in changing several laptop DC sockets with its help.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Some hints here.

Looks like you need a 40 watt soldering iron.

enter link description here

Now the tip with a bit of wire with flux on it sounds good as the the melted solder should attach itself to that.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

onthelimit1s gadget works ok.It just sucks up the solder as it is melted.

This is what you would be looking for.

De solder pump

Shop around and you might get it cheaper.But if you are just going to use it once maybe try the wire with flux on it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Some from Amazon.

Amazon

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

Maplin N47FX (1mm) N48FX (1.5mm) N49FX (2mm) Length 1.5 metres £3.29

Like this post
john12

Likes # 0

Hi. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I have a variable 80 watt weller iron and a good quality desoldering pump, i was really looking for advice on desoldering wick itself, if anyone can help with that please do.

@ vcr97 Have you actually used the maplin's wick yourself, if so how did you use it, did you apply solder or solder paste at first, are there any tricks or tips (angles) you can advise on.

Many thanks. John.

Like this post
john12

Likes # 0

Quick update: Here is my technique: Firstly apply a blob of solder onto the joint, place the wick over it, then apply the hot iron. All i get is a cloud of flux rising up and no solder removal even the solder in adjacent joints starts melting because the board go so hot. What am i doing wrong.

Many thanks. John.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

A quick question. Why do you think that need to remove the old solder?

When you install the new Capacitor, the old solder, once liquid, will be just as effective as it was before, so long as you add a dab of Flux.

If memory serves me, all Flux is, is a powerful Alkali that removes any Oxides that might impede the unification/contact between the two metals.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

John

Yes I have used the wick. I just put it on the joint and apply heat. The solder then is "sucked" up by the wick. I'm wondering if your stuff has been contaminated so that the solder won't stick.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...