We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Yahoo login query today 20/01/2013

newface

Likes # 0

I tried to login to my yahoo e-mail account today (Sunday Jan 20th 2013) Yahhand after entering my name and password a popup window came up with some characters that I was supposed to enter which I did. Another message appeared saying that I was trying to logon from an unknown decice and asked me to enter some personal data. I have never had this problem before. I ran a full scan using Avast free Antivirus that found no problems. Can anyone shed a light on this please? Thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Is this from your browser's home page? I'm not familiar with Yahoo but see what happens if you sign in from here - https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?&.src=ym

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

It is possible someone else has been trying to access your account - unsuccessfully. Once you have logged in I would change the password on the account. You may find you will be asked to type in the characters again as a security measure when you try logging in with new password.

Like this post
newface

Likes # 0

Thanks to you all for replying. rdave13 Usung the url you suggested gave the same result. I have tried accessing yahoo from Mozilla the default, Opera, CAPTCHA characters it then asks me for the answer to a personal data question. I used yahoo fine yesterday.

Jollyjohn No-one has been trying to use my login, and as I cant get in I dont know how to reset the password.

My major fear is that I have somehow downloaded a virus.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That link I gave shows as genuine with McAfee site advisor. Just thinking the same as you if your home page had been compromised. Run Malwarebytes(free version) then have a look at this help page, https://edit.yahoo.com/forgotroot/

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

If putting in the captcha characters and then the answer to the security question will still not let you log in then contact Yahoo.

You may not know if someone has been trying to access your account. When you set up the Yahoo account did it ask for an alternate e-mail address? If so check it for messages about changes to your account.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers