We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hardrive on my freeview box is almost full

RobInnit

Likes # 0

Does anyone know how to capture saved recordings from a freview box hardrive onto a a laptop/memory stick, (economically), in order to avoid a massive domestic? Many thanks.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Have you thogh of getting an external drive,inconveniant but should be on,other alternatives save your data to the cloud,buy a NAS drive,uofrade your hard drive in the laptop or like me i have space for a seconf drive in my HP machine.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Depending on what Freeview box it is (go on, give us a hint) you might be able to swap out the existing HDD and install a new one. Then you could try to access the files from elsewhere (but they may not be in a format that is readily playable on PCs etc.).

Alternative is to connect up a DVD recorder to your TV / Freeview box set-up and burn some of the recordings to DVD and then delete from Freeview box.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Click Here for instructions on how to do it with a Humax Freesat HDR - this is what I used. It maybe works with other Humax models.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Or you could watch some of your recordings and then delete them. I am stunned that you have found enough stuff worth recording on TV to fill up a HDD. I have a PVR and am lucky if I have as much as 5-6 hours of unwatched material and this is of programs recorded over a month.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Posted by lotvic

as the poster at 10:10am has said, it depends on the make and model of the Freeview pvr. Humax Freesat are easy to copy to either a usb ext hard drive or usb flash drive. I suggest you look at the manual which should give instructions (but sometimes it takes some working out), and tell us the make and model so we can advise.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...