We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Router - Slow on One computer

mge091

Likes # 0

Hi Everyone,

I just got a new wifi router, my old one crapped out. I went with a Linksys N300. Since hooking it up though one of my computers is getting terrible connection speeds. For example, a standard ping to returned with these speeds: 1631ms 43ms 590ms 38ms

In that order. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I could do? I had zero speed issues with the old router.

Thanks!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you made sure that the firmware of the router is up to date? To do this you need to get onto the router admin pages. Firmware update here.or you can do it via the router.

Is your wifi adapter driver on the "slow" pc up to date?

Is it slow if you try another browser?

What are the speeds like on this PC when you connect by ethernet.

Your router is wireless-n and this could be causing the problem with your slow pc. The attached article may explain this to you - particularly look at Fix 3. It may be that you will have to change the type of security on the router connection.Have you set up the wireless connection on the slow pc to take account of the kind of wireless standard your network will support - e.g. mixed mode or b/g instead of just n. Your router manual explains this under wireless basic settings - you can get a copy of this from the link I have posted above.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK