We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bi-Directional installation

night

Likes # 0

Having removed the ribbon connection from the mother board, and connected the 40 pin IDE into the mother board,having connected the sata data cable to the S1 connector on the converter and the other end to the DVD with cable provided, the power cable connected to the converter and then I presume to one of three spare socket's on the remaining ribbon connections making sure it has a red and black pins which marry up to the converter power lead, but is the above in order before powering up computer.?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I'm confused with this. What is the converter you are referring to and which of the ribbon cables on the motherboard do you mean? Or has there been an earlier post that I missed?

Like this post
night

Likes # 0

Chub-tor, in answer to your query I am installing a new CD/DVD player and it is an Internal SATA DVD-RW, and the BI-Directional converts IDE to SATA I guess your not familier with this set up .

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

night: it might have helped if you'd mentioned in your original post what it was you were trying to do... :-)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If it's something like this, link, then I'd connect to the ide port on the motherboard and connect the power cable to the PSU. Next connect the sata cable to the sata optical drive and then connect the power from the PSU to the optical drive. Looks to me that you need two sources of power to run these adapters.

Never used one, though, but that looks like the set-up to me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?