We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

High speed ethernet transfer cable

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

I just bought this high speed ethernet cable.

Ethernet cable

Now my idea was just to transfer a couple of giveawayoftheday programs from one computer to another.

But having read it a bit more it looks like it is only for transferring files.

It does not transfer programs.

Is there anything else I can use this cable for or is it best storing it and forgetting about it.

I was bored at the time and thought why not it would give me something to do.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Jock1e

Had a look at your link and it seems to me to be a simple way of networking two machines (no router required) so you should be able to transfer the programmes. I suppose, much like networking, you will have to set the machines to file share with each other, but that's all. I do notice from the image on your link the cable appears to have USB connection rather than the usual RJ45 ethernet connectors so really not sure how it works.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Ahh! Just read a bit further and the note at the very bottom Use for: Laplink PCmover, Filemover, PCsync suggests you need their software as well, I'd give it a try on it's own anyway.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Not sure exactly what you want to do.

If you are trying to transfer the installed files for a working program on one machine to another then it is not possible as the installation program needs to be run on both machines in order that the required additional and configuration settings (ie registry entries)are created.

You can use what you have to copy over the installation file from one PC to the other then run the installer on the second machine.

Sorry if I have misunderstood what you are trying to say.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Jock1e: a program is a file. There's no reason why that shouldn't work - the cable per se is not capable of distinguishing between the two. You need to look at something other than your cable for the source of your problem.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok looks like it could be a bit complicated for me.I did not want to copy everything from one computer to another just a couple of programs.

But I can do without them as I don't want to mess up both computers by doing something wrong.

I have put it in the drawer out of the way now and will leave it for another time.

I have an old laptop that has Office on it and wondered if I could transfer it to my W/8 computer from XP.The problem is I have no serial key for it and if it was possible to transfer it it would probably ask for the keycode again.

No power supply for the laptop just now so that would be something for the future.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton

Sorry not a problem as such as I am just wondering how you do it.

What I read was you could not transfer a security program from one computer to another without having to add the keycode again.

The keycode can only be activated once and then you cannot run it again from giveawayoftheday.I just wanted to shift it from one computer to another.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

As alanrwood indiacted, it is not poss to transfer such installed software to another PC. You could transfer the program files, but that doesn't 'install' the software.

Installing software entails creating various entries in several different entries (most especially the registry). You would need to install from the source install package (e.g. CDs / DVDs).

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok thanks Batch.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

At the bottom of your link there is a advert for Laplink PC mover that claims to move all of your software, games, music, files etc. Will this do?

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Jock1e,

The keycode can only be activated once and then you cannot run it again from giveawayoftheday.:

Not always the Case,

Which programs are we talking about (the Names) Please.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten