We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB 3.0 woes on new PC

Coxy_UK

Likes # 0

Built a PC with a Gigabyte Z77X-D3H mobo, 8Gb Corsair RAM, i5 3470, in a BitFenix Colossus case. Windows 7 64bit.

I have installed the latest USB 3 drivers but at best they run at USB 2 speeds and on occasion with large files copying has failed.

Also PC will not boot if anything is in a USB3 port, I have disabled boot from USB in Bios.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

A stupid question but --- you are using a USB3 device and USB3 cable?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

USB3 will only run at that speed if the hardware connected is also USB3. I am not sure that there is much USB3 hardware available at the moment.

Sorry if I am only 'teaching' you to suck-eggs,as they say!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

What the previous poster have said immediately sprung to mind.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

There could also be conflicts with the USB drivers . I have had similar problems trying to install S/W on customers PC`s .

Like this post
Coxy_UK

Likes # 0

Hi yes it's a 64gb USB 3.0 stick that I am primarily trying to use.

The PC will with my Bluetooth dongle in a USB 3 port so it seems only storage devices stop it from doing so.

Like this post
Coxy_UK

Likes # 0

Ok so I loaded default settings in Bios (very noob of me not to have done that already) and the PC booted with the stick plugged in.

I tried copying the same hd video over which took 4:00 mins in USB 2, in the USB 3 port it took 3:10 and the first half was done in 1 min so it dramatically slowed down as it copied.

Like this post
Coxy_UK

Likes # 0

Tried the same file to the stick from my sata3 ssd and it took the same time.

I then copied from the stick back to the ssd and it took 1:30 remaining at a steady 74-75 mbps. I t's just the write speed then I assume that starts high and quickly falls to around 40 mbps.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite