We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intermittent buzzing sound on Acer Aspire 5750

MartiniGirl
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have had my Acer Aspire 5750 for 11 months and pretty much since day 1 there has been an intermittent buzzing sound occur, on average, every 5 minutes. I would point out that the buzzing sound only occurs if you playing something that has sound, e.g. a CD, a YouTube clip, a video file. The majority of the time I am using the laptop for excel, word, web browsing and email and, as none of these things contain sound, the laptop works perfectly well with no issues. When I play something with sound, I will hear a short buzzing sound lasting approximately 2 seconds and then everything will continue as normal for another 5 minutes, approximately, until the next buzzing sound. The problem is not any better or worse than when I first got the laptop but I'm at a stage where I would like to play more music on my laptop but currently with this buzzing sound, it is too annoying to do so. If I am playing a video file then, at the point that the buzzing occurs, the picture will also stutter but then continue as normal once the buzzing sound has stopped.

Is there anyone out there who has experienced the same thing or knows how to get rid of this buzzing sound?

The technical details of my laptop are: Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1) Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz Intel HD Graphics 3000 64 bit Operating System

If you need me to provide any further details, let me know.

Cheers

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The first thing I would do is to notify The Company, that you bought the Lappy from, of the problem, its nature and the length of time the Lappy has been affected by it. At this time it is not up to Acer to sort it.

To me it sounds like Electrical Interference, which could mean a faulty Transformer or Inverter.

The sooner you do that the better as those parts are not easily replaced

Like this post
robbybobbyva

Likes # 1

I had the same issue. It suddenly appeared a few months ago. Turns out it's the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Microsoft Updates installed some kind of update to them causing DMA to revert to PIO. I've seen similar situations on other PC Tech boards out there. This is where I discovered all the right info. http://winhlp.com/node/10. Though I didn't feel comfortable using the link to run the automatic script "fix", this page gave step-by-step manual instructions that finally has solved my problem! The manual fix was . . . If you go to the Device Manager from the Control Panel, under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, uninstall the secondary controller. Amazing how the intermittent buzzing and skipping stopped :)

Like this post
robbybobbyva

Likes # 1

For Windows 7 users, this works too!

1. Click the start button from the desktop
  2. Control panel,
  3. Hardware and Sound,
  4. Devices and printers - Device Manager 5.Find ide ata/atapi controllers and the ahci controller on the list. Double click on this.
  5. Choose the 'DRIVER' tab.
  6. Click the 'ROLL BACK DRIVER' button
Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

Hi robbybobbyva - I had a look at the link you mentioned but, I have to admit, not sure I understood a lot of what was being said! In terms of your 2nd response, I am able to follow your instructions but if I roll back the driver to a previous version I don't think this will have any affect as the problem has been there since I first got the laptop. I'm quite happy to give it a go but if it has no effect whatsoever, do I just click on "update driver" to get it back to the position before I clicked on "roll back driver"? Cheers.

Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

Dear rdave13 - I know its been a while but I had to wait over a month for Amazon to deliver the Sweex USB sound card adapter you recommended. It definitely has improved the sound quality as the buzzing noise has now completely disappeared but the sound still skips/jumps. I'm wondering whether the recommendation made by robbybobbyva would help with my problem. What do you think?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link rdave13 but I don't think it applies in my case. I don't have any label where "channel" is part of the name. I only have a SATA driver. I guess this is something similar to my problem but not quite. Oh well, at least the Sweex USB sound card adapter has improved the sound from what it was. Thanks again for your recommendation. Cheers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen