We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intermittent buzzing sound on Acer Aspire 5750

MartiniGirl
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have had my Acer Aspire 5750 for 11 months and pretty much since day 1 there has been an intermittent buzzing sound occur, on average, every 5 minutes. I would point out that the buzzing sound only occurs if you playing something that has sound, e.g. a CD, a YouTube clip, a video file. The majority of the time I am using the laptop for excel, word, web browsing and email and, as none of these things contain sound, the laptop works perfectly well with no issues. When I play something with sound, I will hear a short buzzing sound lasting approximately 2 seconds and then everything will continue as normal for another 5 minutes, approximately, until the next buzzing sound. The problem is not any better or worse than when I first got the laptop but I'm at a stage where I would like to play more music on my laptop but currently with this buzzing sound, it is too annoying to do so. If I am playing a video file then, at the point that the buzzing occurs, the picture will also stutter but then continue as normal once the buzzing sound has stopped.

Is there anyone out there who has experienced the same thing or knows how to get rid of this buzzing sound?

The technical details of my laptop are: Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1) Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz Intel HD Graphics 3000 64 bit Operating System

If you need me to provide any further details, let me know.

Cheers

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

One last thing to try, right click the sound icon and select playback devices. Click on your speakers and click on properties. Check under the enhancements tab that nothing is selected. Under the advanced tab you can select the default format. The sample rate and frequency. Mine is set on 16bit 44100 Hz (CD Quality). I'm on Windows 8 but should be the same on 7. You can use the dropdown arrow to select other frequencies and test the speakers. I've only got three to choose from, radio, CD, DVD. All 16 bit and range from 32000 Hz to 48000 Hz. Test each one and try to listen for the buzzing noise. Worth a try.

Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

Dear rdave13,

Thanks for the further advices. I've checked and nothing is selected under the Enhancements tab. I went through all the sample rate and bit depth options I had and they all make the buzzing noise unfortunately. My sample rate/bit depth was set to 24 bit and 48000Hz but I now have it set to 16 bit and 44100Hz. I tried all 8 settings (4 at 16 bit and 4 at 24 bit) and the buzzing sound was averaging every 1 minute so it was worse than I originally thought. I even tried it through external speakers and it was just the same. It is just so annoying that it does it but, as I said, I guess I'll have to live with it. Thanks again for trying.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Sounds like you a piece of "unshielded" Electrical Equipment in the vicinity. Possibly a Transformer beginning to break down.

Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

Dear wee eddie,

I really don't think it is as the buzzing sound has been there since day 1 and I have operated the laptop using its battery only, with no other cables around, and it still makes the buzzing sound. I have also moved house so the laptop has been in many different environments, around different cable settings and it still produces the buzzing sound which isn't getting any worse. It has always been quite consistent (unfortunately).

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Not ideal situation but have you thought of an usb audio 'dongle'. Just make it default in playback devices and away you go. They're plug and play. I've got one at the end of my headphones jack to connect to front of PC. Plenty around but I found this ,from Amazon, it's size makes it ideal for a laptop.

Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

Dear rdave13,

Thanks for this. I would never have even known I could go for something like this. It certainly might be worth trying but, whilst I realise that it will over-ride my installed sound hardware, it might not resolve my issue if it turns out not to be a sound hardware issue afterall. Although, I'm not really sure what else it can be.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

It might not resolve it but it certainly works when the internal audio chip is dead. Have a look at Amazon for more usb cards, you can pick one up for a couple of quid just to try out. The cheapies are a bit flimsy so handle with a bit of care. If it enables you to have decent sound then possibly think of getting a better one.

Like this post  
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Question: If you go down to Starbucks, or where-ever but several miles away, does the same buzzing sound occur when you use it?

Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

Dear wee eddie - Yes it does.

Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

Dear rdave13 - I certainly will. Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data