We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intermittent buzzing sound on Acer Aspire 5750

MartiniGirl
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have had my Acer Aspire 5750 for 11 months and pretty much since day 1 there has been an intermittent buzzing sound occur, on average, every 5 minutes. I would point out that the buzzing sound only occurs if you playing something that has sound, e.g. a CD, a YouTube clip, a video file. The majority of the time I am using the laptop for excel, word, web browsing and email and, as none of these things contain sound, the laptop works perfectly well with no issues. When I play something with sound, I will hear a short buzzing sound lasting approximately 2 seconds and then everything will continue as normal for another 5 minutes, approximately, until the next buzzing sound. The problem is not any better or worse than when I first got the laptop but I'm at a stage where I would like to play more music on my laptop but currently with this buzzing sound, it is too annoying to do so. If I am playing a video file then, at the point that the buzzing occurs, the picture will also stutter but then continue as normal once the buzzing sound has stopped.

Is there anyone out there who has experienced the same thing or knows how to get rid of this buzzing sound?

The technical details of my laptop are: Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1) Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz Intel HD Graphics 3000 64 bit Operating System

If you need me to provide any further details, let me know.

Cheers

Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

Dear rdave13,

I might be being daft here but I thought plugging in speakers is the same as plugging in headphones as it uses the same slot so I didn't think I needed to try headphones specifically based on your comment.

Funnily enough, I already tried to take my laptop back to the supplier for repair under warranty but PC World wouldn't help me in trying to diagnose the problem, and repair it, hence the reason why I was on this forum in the first place! I will never buy from PC World again after this experience. I feel they have dealt with me in a very unfair way and even had the audacity to say that I should have purchased their KnowHow insurance policy from the start and then they would have helped me!!! Can you believe the cheek of it!

I've now tried contacting the manufacturer directly to see if they will help me as the problem has definitely been there from the start.

Thanks again.

Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

Dear woodchip,

It is definitely not a CD issue. I never keep a CD in the drive if the drive is not in use. The buzzing sound has even occurred at the windows startup sound!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I think different PC World stores treat their customers differently. My brother in law bought a monitor from them. It went faulty so he took it back to the store. The staff were very helpful, they set it up and couldn't do anything with it. He was given a new monitor with no quibble. It's a shame you didn't get the same service.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The buzzing appears to be comong from the Speakers? Yes.

Is there a Power Block/Charger/Transformer anywhere near any of the cables?

Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

Dear wee eddie,

Yes the buzzing does appear to be coming from the speakers but there is no power block/charger/transformer near any of the cables.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Something you could try based on what I said, as the drive may be spinning at boot though no disc in the drive. In BIOS turn off BOOT FROM CD. then try booting and listen for buzz

Like this post
tarbyme

Likes # 0

Martinigirl

This is a long shot.

It could be a codec problem. If you have a codec pack uninstall it, download the latest K-lite [ its free] pack and install it. Download from here http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm Download the Full pack. Not sure if this will correct the problem but got nothing else.

Like this post
tarbyme

Likes # 0

Martinigirl

This is a long shot.

It could be a codec problem. If you have a codec pack uninstall it, download the latest K-lite [ its free] pack and install it. Download from here http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm Download the Full pack. Not sure if this will correct the problem but got nothing else.

Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

Dear rdave13,

I certainly wish I'd received the same service as your brother in law. Unfortunately, even Acer won't help me either as they say I have to deal with PC World as they bought out the warranties. I guess I'm between a rock and a hard place but I'm going to give up now and just accept that I can't play audio.

Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

Dear tarbyme, woodchip,

Thank you for your comments but I think a level of technical knowledge is assumed in your response which I don't have. I don't really know anything about BIOS or codecs and therefore don't really want to delve into things I don't know anything about.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK