We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intermittent buzzing sound on Acer Aspire 5750

MartiniGirl
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have had my Acer Aspire 5750 for 11 months and pretty much since day 1 there has been an intermittent buzzing sound occur, on average, every 5 minutes. I would point out that the buzzing sound only occurs if you playing something that has sound, e.g. a CD, a YouTube clip, a video file. The majority of the time I am using the laptop for excel, word, web browsing and email and, as none of these things contain sound, the laptop works perfectly well with no issues. When I play something with sound, I will hear a short buzzing sound lasting approximately 2 seconds and then everything will continue as normal for another 5 minutes, approximately, until the next buzzing sound. The problem is not any better or worse than when I first got the laptop but I'm at a stage where I would like to play more music on my laptop but currently with this buzzing sound, it is too annoying to do so. If I am playing a video file then, at the point that the buzzing occurs, the picture will also stutter but then continue as normal once the buzzing sound has stopped.

Is there anyone out there who has experienced the same thing or knows how to get rid of this buzzing sound?

The technical details of my laptop are: Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1) Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz Intel HD Graphics 3000 64 bit Operating System

If you need me to provide any further details, let me know.

Cheers

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

I've got a horrible thought that you get the buzzing interference when the fan kicks in? If you do then there's not much that can be done. It shouldn't be though. Does it happen using headphones?

Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

I haven't tried headphones specifically but I have plugged in speakers before and it does the same through them as well.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

I'm wondering if it could be Acer's power save program. It sounds as interference from within the laptop. Try control panel, power options and change to High Performance for now. If that doesn't help then I'm stumped.

If the same change back to the original power setting.

Like this post
MartiniGirl

Likes # 0

Dear rdave13,

Thank you so much for trying to help me. It is certainly appreciated. I agree that, when I hear it, it sounds like some sort of interference or feedback. Unfortunately changing the power options to High Performance didn't work either.

I guess its just something that I'm just going to have to put up with.

Have a great night and thanks again for your help.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

I'm sorry I couldn't help further. May you also have a great night and possibly buy some cheap headphones from some supermarket just to try?

Hopefully someone else might also contribute as to the problem.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Whoa there. Just a thought, that it might be an earth (grounding) problem and it has been there from the start. Contact the supplier as it is still under warranty, explain your problem and that you'd like it repaired as you can't listen to music/DVDs etc. with the annoying buzzing sound.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Buzz is vibration of the cd drive spinning the cd too fast, out of balance CD

You may need to change the drive

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

woodchip , drive not running when playing YouTube. Think it's a fault with the laptop not the optical drive.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If there is a CD in the drive even though not using the drive as such windows keeps kicking the drive up. She needs to try none Music CD;s in the drive to see if it still does it. and take out CD when not using it

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If there is a CD in the drive even though not using the drive as such windows keeps kicking the drive up. She needs to try none Music CD;s in the drive to see if it still does it. and take out CD when not using it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad