We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win xp Goes White On Boot Up

Legslip
Resolved

Likes # 0

My pals Netbook is behaving strangely. I boot into windows and his desktop background picture shows for a short while, then the screen goes totally white. I power off by holding down the power button and just before shutdown the full Win Xp screen shows with all the regular desktop icons.

I can boot into Safe Mode as Administrator but cannot log in through his account name.

Any thoughts?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Yours doesn't appear to be a hardware-related problem so an XP System Restore may help - see here. Choose a date on the calendar when everything was working fine but don't go further back than you need to. It's fine to run System Restore via Safe Mode and logged in with the Administrator account.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks secret squirrel I did try in safe mode restoring to last good working configuration but that did not resolve. however I will try a restore to an earlier date and advise later today.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks secret squirrel I did try in safe mode restoring to last good working configuration but that did not resolve. however I will try a restore to an earlier date and advise later today.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I did try in safe mode restoring to last good working configuration but that did not resolve"

That won't work in your situation because you manage to boot to the Desktop. When that happens, the Last Known Good Configuration data is overwritten with the current state. That recovery option only works when the problem occurs before logging into XP (such as a faulty driver that prevents Windows from starting etc).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Boot - tap f8 - select safe mode with networking

Uninstall the graphics driver or update the graphics driver

reboot in normal windows will reinstall the graphics driver if you uninstalled.

see how it goes from there.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat. As always, good to hear from you. Before your suggestion I went into Safe Mode and created another administrative User Account. Then booted Win normally and it opens the new account absolutely fine. Same problem though when I open my pals User Account. Currently running a virus scan out of desperation.

Any thoughts?

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Well, well. Looks like virus problems. Ran Microsft Sec. Essent. and found a virus. Removed and all appears to be working OK.

Like this post  
woodchip

Likes # 0

Looks like Your Mate need to create a new account and delete the old one. its corrupt

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...