We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Security Alerts thinks my computer might be at risk

Laurence WM
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

According to my Microsoft Security Essentials, my PC (Windows XP) is ‘Protected’, yet according to my Windows Security Alerts, in a bubble that pops up from my toolbar most of the time I switch on, ‘your computer might be at risk; your anti-virus software might be out of date’.

Should I be concerned, or do the Security Alerts not register Microsoft’s own security system?

If I needn't worry, how could I stop the bubble from delivering its alarminmg message so frequently?

Thanks, Laurence

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 1

How often do you do Windows update. It may be warning you that the definitions are out of date. New definitions are usually available daily. Can't remember but is there a setting in MSSE to warn you if definitions have not been updated for "X" days

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

Right-click on the MSE icon on the taskbar and choose to Update - just takes a few seconds or so.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 1

It may also be that you have not run a scan recently.

Like this post
Laurence WM

Likes # 0

Thank you for these very helpful answers, Alan, Nontek and John.

My MSE is scheduled to update and scan daily. Right-clicking and updating as Nontek suggests does remove the warning icon, but on my slow old machine it takes more than a few seconds, and as it is another extra little task need I bother, given the daily schedule? If not, can I prevent the balloon from appearing so frequently?

Manks thanks again, Laurence

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi

I was not aware that MSSE was capable of automatic updates but it is quite a while since I last used it so maybe I am out of date

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

MSE does update automatically as a rule, but you will still need to run a Quick Scan occasionally and/or do a Manual update.

Like this post

Likes # 1

You can disable these warnings if you wish. Click on the Flag icon and select Action Centre/Security and set it up as you think is right for yourself.

Like this post  
Laurence WM

Likes # 0

Many thanks, everyone!

Laurence

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Read this thread too - MSE update problem

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?