We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acronis 2012 question?

hiwatt
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi folks. I'm just about to do my first full back up of my new computer with acronis TI2012.Obviously I've chosen "full" in back up method.In advanced settings should the "back up sector by sector" be left unticked?And should it be custom scheme as opposed to single version scheme etc?Thank you.

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 1

from Acronis FAQ;

"The sector-by-sector backup allows you to create an image of all sectors of the selected partition. This image will contain not only sectors with data but also sectors that are free. As a result, this image will be equal in size to the disk being imaged"

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq/sector-by-sector-backup/

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

And why would you want to backup free space

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

the answer to that is in the link i posted, in response to your claim the option doesn't exist.

the option does exist and if you read the original question it was asked whether or not to select it, the answer being no.

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

i'd leave 'sector by sector' unchecked, you only need the data backed up, i don't see the point of copying the free space too.

not sure about the other option, i don't think it's available in the free version of Acronis that i use, but it seems the 'single version' is to delete/overwrite an old image automatically when you create a new one.

that's a bad idea, you want at least a couple of images, i keep 3 and then delete the oldest one after creating new, just incase you accidently make a backup that includes some nasties you didn't know where there at the time, and insurance incase an image gets corrupted.

maybe wait for a 2012 user to give further info about that setting, or you could read the Aconis help files.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Thanks X7-250! I've just completed a full back up of my C:drive.It's 1000gb with 868gb free space.There's 44.9gb of used space yet my full Acronis back up is only 22.2gb?Is this because of compression?Does this sound about right?Thanks folks!

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

yep, about 50% of the original is usually how mine work out with the default compression.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Thanks a lot.

Like this post  
woodchip

Likes # 0

Acronis does not and never as backed up free space. Just do a full backup, in other words create a Image of the Drive to another Drive. This can be done without loading Acronis Just boot with external Drive connected and boot with Acronis CD in the drive

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad