We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Driver Magician free for 24 hours.

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Driver Magician free for 24 hours for those that want to try it.

I have used it myself before but it does tend to through up the same drivers that you have already downloaded so you have to keep a check as to what you have used.

Driver Magician

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Woolwell: what makes me smile is that it seems, from what Jock1e says, that Driver Magician doesn't even check if your drivers are out of date - it seems happy enough to just keep sending you what it thinks are the latest ones, regardless of if you've installed them. I'm thinking that, even if it's free, it's probably still overpriced... :-)

Agree on the gaming thing - but, from what my son tells me, news of an updated driver to fix a specific game problem rapidly reaches the game's forums (which is where my son spends the part of his life that he's not actually gaming...) Again: I don't think you'd update them just for fun.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Well just to keep you all happy.I downloaded it and gave it a run and it showed 2 updates needed.

One I did not think was needed and ran and downloaded the other one.Apart from taking about 4 times longer than it should have probably because of all the downloads world wide it installed with no problems.

Rebooted the computer and it no longer showed the update.So that was a plus.

Wonder how many it would find others.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I use Slim drivers , this is always free , and never gets it wrong . I disagree with you chaps about not updating drivers . Why would companies go to the bother of writing updates , if not to fix a bug or improve performance ?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

nickf

Thinking the very same thing myself.

I suppose everyone has there own way of doing things I like my drivers to be up to date.

Why would company's spend time and money updating drivers if no one was going to use them.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Apart from my NVidia graphics card driver, I do not bother too much about any other driver updates. What I do, however, find useful is the File Hippo Update Checker. I find it very good and reliable. http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

iscanut2

Does that find drivers for you or is it just for updating security programs ect.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

"Why would company's spend time and money updating drivers if no one was going to use them."

If all PCs were identical, it would be a very different - and rather boring - world. The fact is, scarcely any two are alike. All have different combinations of hardware and software - from an enormous range of suppliers. That's the opposite of the Apple paradigm, where the environment is very tightly controlled. So, in the Apple case, you get their renowned stability and lack of problems - but limited flexibility. In the PC case, you get almost unlimited flexibility - but it's that that can make PCs unstable and problem-prone. Driver manufacturers typically update their drivers for specific combinations of hardware and software that turned out to not work well with the earlier drivers - or it may well be new hardware and/or software. But if you don't have that hardware/software/driver combination, and you're not seeing any problems, and your performance is acceptable and you have the features you desire, there is absolutely no need to update a driver.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks Jock1e. It might be handy! Have installed it on 3 old XP computers. I hope I can get an old AVerTV Studio tuner card to work now.

The only problem is the driver update downloads 'eat up' my monthly dongle BB allowance ... I knew there was a catch ;o]

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Jock1e - Apart from taking about 4 times longer than it should have probably because of all the downloads world wide it installed with no problems.

Download and use DAP (Download Accelerator Plus) which is quicker. I have used it for years, the FREE version. Give it a try, I don't think you will be disappointed. enter link description here

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Because it is free everyone that has downloaded it is using it.

I did warn about the delay earlier and to wait till bedtime or early morning before trying to download any drivers.

Or even better maybe a few days from now.

Let us know how you get on and hope it works ok for you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014