We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Driver Magician free for 24 hours.

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Driver Magician free for 24 hours for those that want to try it.

I have used it myself before but it does tend to through up the same drivers that you have already downloaded so you have to keep a check as to what you have used.

Driver Magician

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Avoid these types of software as they can and frequently do cause more problems than they say they will solve and I speak through experience.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Will close this now but if anyone thinking of downloading it it has to be downloaded and the keycode entered before 8am tomorrow morning or it will not work after that time.

Like this post  
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Anyone thinking of downloading any driver wherever, never ever download an unsigned driver as Microsoft reacts badly to them and your computer will slow down considerably.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 1

Jock1e: I'm not sure I agree with your last statement. While you should certainly exercise care and caution when using unsigned drivers, in many cases, unsigned drivers are the only ones there are. I have installed many unsigned drivers, having taken appropriate precautions, with no effect on either system stability or system performance.

Chronos is right, though: be wary of any software that promises to keep your drivers up to date. The simple rule is: never, ever update a driver unless you believe a driver is the cause of a problem, or a new driver can bring performance or functionality you need. Don't ever update drivers just because they're supposedly 'out of date/not the latest version'.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I agree with Ian in Northampton most times unsigned drivers are fine in the majority of cases.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[fine in the majority of cases. Like this post]

Get one Microsoft does not like and you get the results that I said earlier.

This computer that I use now is a cheapie with all different bits and pieces in it,It is a bit of a mongrel in fact and trying to get drivers for it can be be a bit of a nightmare.

Now you lads know your way about computers and can find your own drivers.

I have used driver magician before and it has updated drivers for my system without any problems.

The only problem with it was it used to give you the same updates to frequently.Basically I wrote down what I had already downloaded so that I could ignore the same update again.

I would say it is ideal for anyone who is not sure about how to update their drivers and until they learn the same way as both of you I see no harm in using it.

It is free for 24 hours and if I was in the same boat again I would use it again.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I stand by what I said: there is no good reason to update drivers just for the sake of it. The golden rule: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". You only have to look at the recent thread re NVIDIA drivers to get an idea of the grief that can be caused by fixing what ain't bust (although it's easy to understand why the poster felt the need to, in view of what he'd heard).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Agree with Ian in Northampton and would add that if you do update drivers then create a system restore point first so that you can hopefully wind back if all goes wrong.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Updating graphics card drivers in the main would be advisable,particularly if you are a gamer as the new drivers might well address a particular problem in a game especially the latest games.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd - Agree entirely. The updates are because of problems, possibly with a game, and not because some program has told you that the drivers are out of date.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...