We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New GPU making a wierd noise?

solidu5

Likes # 0

So i got my new Asus GTX 660 GPU today in the post and whenever i try and run high end games, e.g. portal 2, batman:AC etc. the GPU keeps on and off making this strange noise.

i recorded the noise with my phone and put it in my dropbox. its a tad quiet but if you turn up your headphones/speakers you can hear it..: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3f9dnsdrgyabow/Memo.m4a

Like this post
solidu5

Likes # 0

Anyone have any idea what my problem is? many thanks..

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

mm,is a fan catching on something,give us a clue is it out of the speakers or out of the case we need more information than you supply.

Like this post
solidu5

Likes # 0

It's in the case, I've opened it up and had a look but I can't see anything that would be causing the problem...

It only does it when I run high end games though, when the PC is just running normally it doesn't do it.. It's odd..

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I myself think it is a faulty bearing in the fan. Your sound bite is not the best but what little evidence you have I would suggest removing the card and just checking that there is obviously nothing catching the fan.

Download and run this http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ this will stress your GPU and the fan should really spin up. If you are still getting this noise return the card as chances are it is faulty.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen