We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyone know how to sort entries in Word?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon,

I have recently purchased a Kindle Paperwhite, to complement my wife's two year old one. She has been complaining for some time about my purchase of books - not just for the Kindle. Having conceeded some time ago that we need to make a list of the 2 - 3,000 or so we have I have noticed that the Kindle can download documents to it. So I have been thinking about doing a book list. However what we need to do is to get the book list and then arrange it alphabetically. This I know how to do in Excel, but if we make the list in Excel, I will then have to copy/paste it into a word document, because Excel files can not be downloaded on to the Kindle. However this means EVERY time we buy another book we will have to enter it into the spreadsheet, sort the list, copy/paste that into a word document, and downlaod it onto the Kindle. Yup, a bit cumbersome, but the only way I can see of doing it. However, I can see two other possible solutions, which I hope one of you very kind people may be able to help me with.

As it is a Word document to be downloaded, it would be more sensible to have the list of the books in a Word document, sort it and then do the download. The only option with this is, try as I might I can not find a way of sorting a Word file as one can an Excel file. Can this sorting be done in Word?

The second option would be to get a PDA/organiser sort of unit. BUT I can only find ones that are either less than £10 or over £300. I do not wish to sound mean but £300 is a little much just for a list of books!!! For something that will take about - say - 6 - 8,000 books, authors, title, whether we have it in physical form or on a Kindle, whether we have read the book, and is it worth reading again I am willing to pay a reasonable sum, but I can not find one, does anyone know or can reccomend one that is not too expensive? I think these have gone out of fashion which is why I am having the trouble I am, but if someone could point me in the direction of one I would be very grateful!!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

BRYNIT,

A good suggstion, apart from one tiny flaw - I have Office 2003!!!! Which I accept I should have stated in my original query. Apologies for that error.

However I have just checked and my Excel can save in '.txt' format. I will check with the Kindle manual you get with it if '.txt' files can be read with it! If I can not find it I will just ask Amazon!!!

Many thanks for your suggestion

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Word is more appropriate than excel anyhow.

Excel is spreadsheet software that is oriented towards numerical / formula data in cells, but tolerates text.

Word tables are primarily text based with limited numerical capabilities. But each table cell in word is almost like a mini page supporting the possibility of cell specific formatting, paragraphs, indents, margins etc. etc. Excel does not come anywhere near it for non-numerical data

I have to say that it never ceases to amaze me when people persist in using excel for text based tabular information.

Note, Kindle does support PDFs (both on Kindles and using Kindle app on other devices).

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Batch: amaze you it may, but anything I want in tabular form, or that I'm likely to want to sort, I always use Excel for - address books, appointments, CD/DVD lists. I guess it's just a question of what works for each individual.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Housten

I've only just seen your thread so maybe too late to be offering a suggestion.

My thoughts, also using 2003, would be to continue to use Excel, if you find that easier then convert it to a pdf, using a free download such as PDF Creator.

I use PDF Creator regularly and it's really easy to convert into pdf doc. You can then email it to your Kindle and, hey ho, off you go ...

Yes, I agree a list of books is useful, especially if you are including your archived ones, which I assume you are.

Cheers

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

AroundAgain,

Many thanks for your post. I have never heard of PDF Creator but will try it out.

Once again, many thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded