We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyone know how to sort entries in Word?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon,

I have recently purchased a Kindle Paperwhite, to complement my wife's two year old one. She has been complaining for some time about my purchase of books - not just for the Kindle. Having conceeded some time ago that we need to make a list of the 2 - 3,000 or so we have I have noticed that the Kindle can download documents to it. So I have been thinking about doing a book list. However what we need to do is to get the book list and then arrange it alphabetically. This I know how to do in Excel, but if we make the list in Excel, I will then have to copy/paste it into a word document, because Excel files can not be downloaded on to the Kindle. However this means EVERY time we buy another book we will have to enter it into the spreadsheet, sort the list, copy/paste that into a word document, and downlaod it onto the Kindle. Yup, a bit cumbersome, but the only way I can see of doing it. However, I can see two other possible solutions, which I hope one of you very kind people may be able to help me with.

As it is a Word document to be downloaded, it would be more sensible to have the list of the books in a Word document, sort it and then do the download. The only option with this is, try as I might I can not find a way of sorting a Word file as one can an Excel file. Can this sorting be done in Word?

The second option would be to get a PDA/organiser sort of unit. BUT I can only find ones that are either less than £10 or over £300. I do not wish to sound mean but £300 is a little much just for a list of books!!! For something that will take about - say - 6 - 8,000 books, authors, title, whether we have it in physical form or on a Kindle, whether we have read the book, and is it worth reading again I am willing to pay a reasonable sum, but I can not find one, does anyone know or can reccomend one that is not too expensive? I think these have gone out of fashion which is why I am having the trouble I am, but if someone could point me in the direction of one I would be very grateful!!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Any help? > http://www.ehow.com/how5887840sort-information-word-documents.html

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Broken link, copy and Paste!

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

Housten,

You could keep the list in an Excel file and sort it as required and then copy and paste the results of the sorted list into a Word document and save it.

When you have to update your list of books, do so to the Excel file and then repeat the sort, copy and paste process.

If you need to resort to a PDA, why not use a netbook, with Wondows 7, which you should be able to obtain for about £200 - £250? Load it with Libre Office and you should be able to do all that you want.

Peter.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Peter: this from the OP...

"This I know how to do in Excel, but if we make the list in Excel, I will then have to copy/paste it into a word document, because Excel files can not be downloaded on to the Kindle. However this means EVERY time we buy another book we will have to enter it into the spreadsheet, sort the list, copy/paste that into a word document, and downlaod it onto the Kindle."

"The second option would be to get a PDA/organiser sort of unit. BUT I can only find ones that are either less than £10 or over £300. I do not wish to sound mean but £300 is a little much just for a list of books!!!"

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Err, why make a word doc list to put on the kindle?

Kindle can sort/index books either by: Most Recent First, Author, Title or Collection. (collection is a folder (index) you make and add whatever books you want to - I have made my own collections/folders not just for authors name but also for series and also folders for 'Finished These' and a couple of other ones.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You could create a table in Word and sort that.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you want to keep the books and 'Library list' on your pc or on a separate ext harddrive without having to do any typing of all the titles etc. This is what I do and use in conjunction with my kindle:

Free library management program http://calibre-ebook.com/about

Not perfect but you can edit the comments for a book in the Calibre Library and covert books etc. and transfer books to and from your kindle (but not the comments only the actual book file) (obviously it can't transfer a 'kindle collection folder' as that is really just an index file on the kindle)

I also have the Kindle app on my pc (free from Amazon) but don't use that much as find that Calibre does what I want.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon, AGAIN, Gentlemen. This is my second attempt at posting. I shall write this in Word and copy-paste on to the site. The first attempt was just wiped out!

SillBill I will checkout your suggestion

Peter I think your post has been answered by Ian in Northampton, many thanks for that.

lotvic Yes I know how to create a collection on the Kindle, I have all my books in at least one collection. The only drawback with that is that you need a copy of a book on the Kindle to be able to do anything with it. What I didn’t make clear was that we wish to list an author and ALL his books, determine which we want or note that we have it. I am sorry I did not make this clear. Your second suggestion is something I will check out, though as it would appear to be what we want.

Woolwell I was not aware that tables could be sorted in Word. My wife is the Word ‘expert’ so I will have words with her and see how easy this is.

Gentlemen, once again many, many thanks for your posts. It is really worthwhile asking a question on here when you get so many replies that can help you sort out almost anything!!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Sort the Contents of a Table in WORD - enter link description here

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

I believe that the kindle can read PDF files.

MS Excel 2007-10 can be saved as a PDF file so why not save a PDF copy and transfer to your Kindle

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...