We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hibernation in old laptops with XP

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

2 geriatric laptops have come my way 1st a Toshiba Portage with 1st version of XP 2nd a Time with XP Home

Ni ether will allow 'hibernate' Have looked at power on control panel as suggested by the help file but spotted nothing to help there

Can this be rectified?

xp

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Take a look here enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

More explained here enter link description here

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Perhaps it needs enabling in the BIOS before you can set it up under XP

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

From memory, this capability only became available with SP2?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank yu al. Ihave noticed that neither of the machines starts with POST or give the Delete option to BIOS both boot straight to Windows--Fruit Bat

The Toshiba i SP3 enabled- will have to check the Time -it is not with me at the moment-Ian

Looking through the links but so far see nothing the applies- Northumbria 1

The Toshiba power panel does npt show any indiction of enabling Hibernate and the Win Help file implies it is not enabled. I am beginning to wonder if this a hardware issue[the processor] fpr portables. Certain manuacturers do 'customze' Windoze in certain machines. Thanks again- will come back if the issue is resolved.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

From Microsoft.

To put the system in to hibernation:-

1]Make sure that the system is hibernation enabled. To confirm that, Click the Start button, go to Run menu and type in Powercfg.cpl and click OK. In the Power Options Propertiesclick Hibernate tab and make sure that Enable hibernation option is checked. Click OK/Apply.

2]Now Click the Start button, go to Run menu and type in %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState and click OK.

Not sure if helpful or not.I do remember that you have to click on the shift button for hibernate to show when you are about to shut down.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you Jockle

I have checke4d this on the machine in question and the power managememt panel does not hsave the option- however the Acer I am usng to do this on does have hibernate and further nore the panel comes up as Acer power managment. So it seems each version of Windows XP must be customized for portables.

Indeed when working on desktops, when a Windows install or re install is carried out i have found it never quite installs exactly as previously there is always some subtle differences Thank you I will have to put up with what is presented on each machineh.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...