We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Java Runtime Environment

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've uninstalled JRE from my PC and have had no problems with any site so far, including YouTube, Google and G-Mail. Open Office also works OK. Running Win 8 and IE 10 browser.

I'm just wondering if it's needed at all. Possibly a game or two might require it but I'm not a gamer. I can also log in to my bank account and make transactions. Are there sites that won't work without Java?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

rdave13 - I have Windows 7 64bit and I don't have anything installed relating to JAVA and everything works for me. Interesting article in this LINK from Leo's Answers enter link description here

If there is a program that requires it, it will ask for it and can easily be installed. But I haven't come across any problems.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There are a few games (mostly online) that require java, some websites and some programs see javatester

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I still maintain a website (that I created in 2001) that uses Java applets for the menu system. However I also included code that that uses basic HTML if it detects that Java is not available. The site is only used by a few people that used to work for a now defunct company so it's not worth updating it.

As far as I know Java has always been reasonable efficient. Contrast this with JavaScript which was renowned for being very slow / CPU consumptive. Fortunately in the last couple of years or so the browser providers have mostly (re-)engineered their JavaScript engines to be much more efficient (as in the difference between IE7/8 and IE9).

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Any theatre or concert booking sites that use an interactive seating plan need Java

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll keep it off the PC as up to now no site has asked for Java.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks