We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

long-running scripts

wee eddie

Likes # 0

only on this website - Why?

Every time I move a page on I get this Bar across the bottom saying "PCA is not responding because of long-running Scripts" and the page is frozen for a while.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

I know this thread is a bit old now, but I feel inclined to add to it because I also have the script problem, and it's only with PC Advisor.

It's so bad that I rarely ever visit this site now, unless I have a significant issue ... I certainly don't browse to see if I can help anyone, as I used to do, because it's no fun anymore.

Since my last visit, I now see there's some kind of toolbar at the bottom right of the page with links to tweets, facebook page, etc. Even though it has an X at its left end, clicking on the X does nothing for me except to skip to the top of the page, which is annoying when, as now, what I'm reading or writing at the time is at the bottom of the page.

My OS is XP, by the way, and my browser is IE8. I've got script debugging disabled already, which was one of the cures suggested in this thread. If it is caused by poorly-designed ads, as has been suggested, then the advertisers are hurting themselves because they've almost lost a potential customer. Please get them to fix it so that things run more smoothly.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Using XP Internet Explorer was so slow for me that I moved to Firefox which I still use to this day.

I used a different Host file.Click here But removed it and put Windows host file back on and that improved the way I/E worked.

So maybe if you changed host files at any time go back to the Windows One.

The only other way I could change it was to go to Internet Options.Security.Click on Custom level and scroll down to active scripting and disable it.

That worked fine but some programs needed it running so it was a matter of turning it on and turning it off all the time so moved to Firefox.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

I was a big fan of Firefox until about a year ago one of its updates caused it to clash/interfere with some other software on my PC. Also, it wouldn't work properly with some web sites, such as internet check-in for a flight I was taking, where IE did work.

So in the end I just gave up and switched to IE. I don't know what host files are, and haven't knowingly changed mine.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I find that the free version of Spywareblaster helps with this site. Worth a look. You have to update and enable protection manually on the free version.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A banner ad blocker helps greatly with this site although I know that the site depends on ads. I found it is the banner ads that create the greatest problem as the remainder are not really intrusive.

However if you want pain then try viewing this site on an iPad using either Safari or Chrome. A full page ad starts with skip this ad. Clicking on skip causes the page to stop and so far the only way I have found to get rid of it is to relaunch the site. Pages jump as they are loading and the experience is quite unpleasant.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

It all makes me wonder how much PC Advisor can be trusted to advise about computers, if their own web site seems to cause so many issues. Good thing we have independent contributors to this forum ;-)

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I can remember China's advice about the Design of one's Web Site and the choice of a suitable Server.

Unfortunately standards at PCA Towers have changed since then, possibly more profitable but not necessarily for the better!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...