We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

long-running scripts

wee eddie

Likes # 0

only on this website - Why?

Every time I move a page on I get this Bar across the bottom saying "PCA is not responding because of long-running Scripts" and the page is frozen for a while.

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

not sure why anyone would use the 64bit version of IE when it's known to have many issues which include running 4 times slower than the 32bit version, with javascript being a particular problem.

http://tinyurl.com/azhsuy3

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Almost 2 years old X7-250 maybe things have improved a bit since then but doubtful if they would have changed that much.

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

you'll find the version numbers haven't changed, so i'd doubt the issues involved have either.

another example is on the java download page, which also recommends not using the 64bit browser due to it's known issues.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I must admit to using the 64bit version of IE, on the basis that the other software on the PC is 64bit.

Can you run the 32bit version of IE on a PC that is 64bit for everything else?

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

we've been through this in a previous thread of yours, but i'll copy and paste it for you again;

64bit systems have a folder 'programs x86' and it's typical for the majority of software to be installed there, x86 = 32bit

"64-bit Windows operating systems (which may be Windows 7, Vista or XP) come with a 32-bit Internet Explorer (IE) browser as the standard (default) for viewing web pages. These operating systems also include a 64-bit Internet Explorer browser, however using it is optional and it must be explicitly selected to view web pages. Note that because some web content may not work properly in a 64-bit browser, we recommend using the default 32-bit browser and downloading 32-bit Java."

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Sometime this morning, between 4.30am and 11.00am, they cured the "long running Script".

Hurrahh.

Many thanks FE and his mignons

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Sadly, I still can't tick this thread as Answered, as that bit still doesn't work for me.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Spoke too soon, they're back.

My guess still is: Incompetently designed Adverts.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Back for me this afternoon. It's quite irritating.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

as is "PC Advisor not responding"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added