We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Firefox won't start - or stop!

Taurus

Likes # 0

Help please, I have, or rather had Firefox as my preferred browser, fully up to date etc, but it seemingly without reason, stopped working. I found that when I tried to start it, it informed me that it is already running although Task Manager fails to identify it as a running process; restarting as requested fails to have any effect as does a repair/install. I have tried uninstalling it but 3 .dll files stubbornly refuse to go no matter how I try to sneak up on them. I have found reference to the problem on the interweb but as to yet, no luck with resolving it. Please help as I have been reduced to using Internet Explorer and it has taken me 5 days to get this far (OK, maybe a bit of an exaggeration but you get my drift). Breakfast in bed for a week for anyone that can restore my Firefox and my sanity.

Dave

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you got version 18 downloaded.

Maybe start in safe mode without networking. You might be able to delete it properly from there.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you got version 18 downloaded.

Maybe start in safe mode without networking. You might be able to delete it properly from there.

There was this.

This

18-crashes-startup-due-malware-how-fix

Maybe download it again without running it and go into safe mode and try and install it again.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Actually it should have been saved to you downloads when you updated it.

Try and run that again from safe mode.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Page not found.It was supposed to tell you that if your Firefox crashes it could be down to Malware.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

download latest version from file hippo dot com onto a pen drive.

Or try unistalling it, and then try to download latest version from filehippo. See you MCL

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Did you remove the profile lock file as in this article from Mozilla?

Like this post
Taurus

Likes # 0

Thank you everybody for your responses. I did remove the profile lock as per the article difarn, but only tried again to unsuccessfully remove the three stubborn dll files afterwards. However, after re-installing Firefox post removal, it started fine. I can now re-asign IE to the trash bin where it so rightly belongs and smile as the throbbing in my temples subsides. Breakfast in bed for all of you, cheers!!

Dave

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Taurus glad you got it sorted

I always use Firefox but I find it a bit slower loading on PCA now than I/E since the new Version 18 update.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Same here Taurus. Jock1e, I actually find Firefox 18 better - the previous version caused slow loading of some web pages, notably online newspapers.

Like this post
Taurus

Likes # 0

Now I have Firefox back (18) I have been testing them against each other and the results are consistantly in favour of Firefox. I have 32bit Vista on the machine in question and Firefox starts quicker, loads pages quicker and is generally more responsive than IE, and not by any small margin I hasten to add, but I guess you pay your money and you make your choice. It goes without saying that FF is my choice. Thanks again for your help.

Dave

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......