We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Should i swap or am i getting ripped off?

Waffelmaniaa

Likes # 0

Okay so i was looking to build myself a new computer, Mid range. around 350-400 pounds. To get some of this money i was selling my laptop on gumtree for around 190 pounds so this guy rings me up after seeing my ad and says to me, would you like to swap a desktop pc for your laptop. I asked him for the specs of his PC and he tells me its a 'server ' motherboard or something. links me this http://www.supermicro.co.uk/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7525/X6DAL-G.cfm tells me that his graphics card is onboard, and he has 2 AMD 3.3GHz bulldozer Processers that he will give me with it. what do i do ?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Well, I'd be very surprised if that motherboard is worth £190.

Hmmm... See here, though.

If it really is worth that, you might be getting a) a bargain, or b) far more than you want/need for a £300-400 PC. Is he offering you just the motherboard, or a complete system built around this motherboard?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is it used? If so it sounds like an ex-server which may have been used extensively by a business. Some of these have been sold cheaply on e-bay. You don't mention your laptop specs. Personally I would steer clear.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Ps what is he offering? A fully built desktop or a motherboard plus CPU's? What do you want the new pc to do?

Like this post
Waffelmaniaa

Likes # 0

I think i have decided to stay clear of this as i dont trust it, He is offering me a full PC build. Allso says he plays modern warfare 2 on it etc but i want a gaming pc that will be able to run battlefield 3 on medium-high graphics atleast.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

be weary, might be to good to be true, unless its off the backof a lorry.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Waffelmaniaa: you may want the challenge of buiding it yourself. However, for Christmas, I got my son the new gaming machine he wanted from ViBox (with whom I have no relationship other than as a very satisfied customer). For just north of £400, it included a quad core AMD FX4100 overclocked to 4.0GHz, 8GB of RAM and a GTX560SE. He can now play BF3 on the settings he wants - and also Planetside, which I understand is a graphically even more demanding game.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features