We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wiping laptop disk clean then starting again?

eem2am

Likes # 0

Hello, My Toshiba "C650D Satellite" laptop (running Windows 7) regularly needs to be started up (booted) 5 times before it actually properly starts. Usually it just goes to a black screen and hangs there. I have tried "launch startup repair", but it doesnt help. So I wish to wipe everything then start again......i dont have a Windows 7 disk, but am hoping Windows is stored on the hard disk somewhere? I do have Recovery USB stick, which i made using the laptop. Do you know how i should go about this process?.....i realise i will loose all my files.........but as long as i can reload windows and start again i dont mind.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Did you make your recovery USB stick using some kind of utility provided with the laptop? And: did you make it immediately, before you'd used the laptop to any real extent?

I ask because, if yours is like many modern laptops, there will be the opportunity to boot from the recovery CD/DVD/USB drive. And, if the recovery media was made at the beginning, then you should be able to restart with a fresh install, hopefully eliminating the problems you're seeing.

Does this help at all?

Like this post
eem2am

Likes # 0

Thanks Ian,

Unfortunately i did not make the recovery USB until 2.5 years after buying the laptop.....and by this time, the problems at start up had been with me for about a month.

I did make the recovery USB with a utility internal to the laptop.

As far as i know, i have to boot up and keep pressing F8, then just click the option which says something like "go back to factory delivered state"......then hopefully it will guide me on how to reinstall windows 7?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

eem2am: that's my understanding, from the link I sent you.

Does there seem to be a partition on your hard drive reserved for recovery data?

The fact that you made your recovery backup late isn't necessarily a disaster. The issue is, of course, whether you've backed up the problem you're now encountering, such that you'll just perpetuate it from the USB drive. But that may not be the case.

I'd try following the instructions on that link first, though.

Oh, and: you don't have to lose all your files. You should copy them across either to a USB stick or an external hard drive, or write them to a DVD so you can restore them later. But yes, unless you know what you're doing, there may be stuff that you'll lose like bookmarks/cookies and so on.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

see page 1-12 of user manual

Like this post
eem2am

Likes # 0

Thanks,

Do yo uknow how i can get back on to the internet after the "restor to factory delvered state"?

I presume i have to download internet explorer onto a USB, and then load it onto the machine, as i presume that internet explorer will get wiped during the recovery process?

I am not sure if i have this disk partition thing?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You will get an option to download and install the web browser of your choice fust by clicking on an icon.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

When you restore, it will automatically install IE along with your operating system - it's bundled in with it. No worries there.

To find out if you have that partition, go to 'Computer' on your PC and see what it says in terms of hard disk drives. On the Medion machine that I'm currently using, it shows C: 'Boot' and D; 'Recover'. The names of yours might be different, but if it shows C: and D: as hard disk drives, you're probably good.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ is probably more correct than me - I'd forgotten MS were now forced to do that. Either way - you won't end up offline...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote