We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Excel question, conditional formatting (or another way)

exdragon
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi - I have a spreadsheet with data in columns A - J and thousands of rows. I want to highlight a particular row if I put the word 'no' into any cell in column B, in any row.

I don't want to just fill the individual cell and I only want the highlight to go from A to J. I've tried various examples of conditional formatting but I'm not getting what I want.

Could someone point me in the right direction, please? It's Excel 2007.

Like this post
tasslehoff burrfoot

Likes # 0

"I want to highlight a particular row if I put the word 'no' into any cell in column B, in any row"

Always the same row, no matter in which row the 'no' is entered?

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

It's whatever row I put 'no' in - so if it's in rows 256, 1026 and 1069, I'd like to have each of those rows highlighted.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

exdragon

Have a look here. Conditional Format in Excel 2007

TonyV

Like this post  

Likes # 0

TonyV - you're a star, it worked a treat once I scrolled down to see that, if I wanted to use a word rather than a number, I had to use "no" rather than just no in the formula.

Many thanks.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

exdragon

Glad you were able to make use of it. It was certainly a useful site to look at. You are right, when you refer to text, you need the " ".

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

I'll bookmark it!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK