We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing backups

aidee

Likes # 0

Hi, I have copied all my files, programs and Personal Info from my existing Vista computer to an Ext HDD. I am going to use WET to transfer data to my new computer with Win 7 O/S. What I want to know is if WET fails to transfer any app (say Roboform -a password manager which contains all 'log-ins' and Personal Details etc), how do I install these apps from my Ext.HDD, as there will not be any existing programs on the new comp which I can 'send to' or 'Restore to' ? AD

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

If I understand your question correctly, it is generally not possible simply to 'restore' a program. So far as I know, you will need to reinstall your programs from scratch on the new machine. Data files etc. can be copied across no problem, but application software needs to be reinstalled.

Like this post
aidee

Likes # 0

Hi Ian and thanks for the reply, So if I understand you correctly, if I take for example Microsoft Office 2003, I will have to completely re-install it on the new comp. Will I then be able to restore the files from the Backup ? AD

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Aidee: it's a complete reinstall. You'll need to reinstall Office, then copy across all your Word, Excel etc. files. If I understand correctly, it's all about the registry. Your new machine has a registry that is unique to it. It holds details of where programs are installed etc. If you just copied back your application files from your other computer, the registry wouldn't know where to find them, as it's updated by the installation process. The same applies for all programs that you install (as opposed to e.g. run self-contained from an .exe file).

Others may know more/better.

Like this post
happyhacker

Likes # 0

As far as i know you need to buy a new copy of the program as they are single machine licenses. The exception might be if your drive fails and you have an image backup to reload (via the install disc) onto the same hardware. You should of course try to reinstall via the original download/CD and use the original key just in case it works.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Happyhacker: you're right, they're generally single machine licences. However, what that means is "just one machine at a time". If you uninstall a program from one machine, or scrap the machine that it's on, it's perfectly legal to install the software on another machine. In fact, in the case of older software like Office 2003, it's a moot point anyway, as that uses just a simple key which, so far as I know, is never validated by Microsoft online anyway (I may be wrong). With newer software that requires validation, it may be necessary to contact MS to revalidate it, and they'll want to be assured that the license is only being used on one machine.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

My copy of Office 2003 end user licence says can be installed on two machines at the same time. It also had to be activated (but I did not do the optional Register) "When you finish activation, you will have the option to register your software with Microsoft. Registration is not required."

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/how-to-install-activate-and-register-microsoft-office-2003-programs-HA010173347.aspx

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite