We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Canon MG6250 printer offline when it's online ??

Baskerville

Likes # 0

Hello all,

Windows Vista Home Premium.

My printer (above) is saying that it is offline when it's online, and keeps queuing jobs, I decided to take the printer off the computer (get rid of it) and re install it, now when I try to install the printer the computer cannot find it even though it is wireless and the printer is turned on ? this is with my laptop and nothing I do seems to make any difference so I decided to use my son's computer because mine has a faulty dvd drive and will not play DVD'd CD's so could not re-install the set-up cd rom to put the software on the computer.

After a long time trying to get it working wirelessly without success I decided to usb to usb and install the software like a factory re-set to start afresh, this went well and after everything seemed to be ok tried to print off a page or two but got the message 'printer is offline' again, anyone have any idea what is going wrong here as it's doing my head in, why does my computer not seem to see the printer ??

The wep key is is ok and has been put into the printer again but still no luck ??

Thanks for any help,

Baskerville.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Does it work via USB?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"anyone have any idea what is going wrong here as it's doing my head in"

On your son's machine, check the printer's settings. I'm guessing that somewhere you'll find an option to "Use printer offline", and you may find that it is ticked.

If that's the case, remove the tick, and see what happens. It may not be the solution, but it's worth a try.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

SillBill

Read the opening post.

Like this post
Baskerville

Likes # 0

Yes, the use the printer offline was ticked but I cleared that and removed the tick.

Still no luck ?

Thanks.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Then there may be a firewall issue.

shut down the firewall on your laptop and run the setup CD for the printer. In view of the fact that you have a faulty CD drive you'll need to network the laptop with your son's machine, insert the CD, and then run the setup on your laptop from that machine via the network.

Once the installation is complete, keep the firewall off and try the printer, not forgetting to turn off that 'use printer offline' setting. If everything works OK try it with the firewall turned on.

We're exploring options here, and it may take a while to pin down the problem.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't think you uninstalled the printer correctly. With your laptop running Vista click on 'run' then type services.msc . In the Service console/page that opens, scroll down to Print Spooler key, double click, under the general tab select to manual and stop it using the stop button.

Wait a few seconds then start and now set back to auto. That will clear the printing backlog.

Run latest Ccleaner's registry cleaner, create a backup if wished, then reboot.

Now try installing the printer, as you would, for the first time. Connecting the USB at the right time used to be important and might still be so in your instance.

Like this post
Baskerville

Likes # 0

rdave13

Would that be the regedit in CCleaner ? thanks,

Baskerville.

Like this post
Baskerville

Likes # 0

Does anyone know if this means regedit in CCleaner ??

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's a registry cleaner in Ccleaner. It cleans up redundant keys so when you uninstall a program, the registry cleaner will remove any leftovers. It's the safest registry cleaner you can use in my opinion. It will ask you to make a backup if you want to. Once you've run the registry cleaner and cleared the print queue. Reboot and now try a fresh install as per your printer's manual.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Spam by thunam10 FE informed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more