We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Same mail addresses at different locations?

gazmix

Likes # 0

Can i have same pop & smtp addresses at different addresses.

For example, i'm with Orange here & my outgoing & incoming are both 'freeserve'

Am getting a laptop for my flat & may use a wireless dongle from 3, but can i set my Mail programme with same addresses as i have at this pc!

cheers

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Yes you can.

On ONE of the computers, probably the laptop, tick the box that says "Leave a copy of message on server"

If you tick the box on both computers you will fill up the inbox on your server and eventually stop receiving e-mail!

Don't leave your PC running with your e-mail program open or it will download the messages and you won't get them on the laptop.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I think you are asking and it is a bit of a guess here is can you get your email at different addresses? You can get your email anywhere you are, via your phone,tablet,PC or laptop.

But if I have got your question completely wrong please explain further.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Are you asking, can you set up your email client, ie Windows Live Messenger, Thunderbird or whatever, on your laptop and will you then be able to pick up your emails regardless of where you and your laptop are situated, using wireless connection?

If that's what you are meaning, then Yes! Once your email client is set up on your laptop you will be able to get your emails, regardless of where you are in the world, as long as you have an effective internet connection, be it by cable or wireless.

If you are wanting to read your emails from your PC AND laptop, you might be wise to set up IMAP instead as POP. Best google IMAP vs POP to understand the difference.

Cheers

Hope some, if not all, of these posts are helpful ...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"can i set my Mail programme with same addresses as i have at this pc!"

Assuming you mean the same mail-server addresses, the simple answer is yes, you can.

It will mean that once email is downloaded to one machine it will not be available on the other, unless you do what Jollyjohn has suggested.

Like this post
gazmix

Likes # 0

Soz, basically i mean 2 seperate pc's/laptops, in different areas that have the same Outlook smtp/pop setup & same email address..

Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded