We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Garmin Nuvi 50 Sat Nav Anyone?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Having had a Navman F20 for many years, which is working remarkably very well, I decided that I wanted a 5" screen model, so I have just obtained the Garmin Nuvi 50.

Have you purchased or used this model, or Garmin products in general, because I have just found that this model came with no instructions whatsoever, and that includes the AC power kit as an extra.

Reviews don't seem to mention this?.

Been onto Garmin, and basically its a case of downloading any information from their website or returning the item back to Argos.Not a very good solution.

Any information or advice appreciated, before I make a final decision.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

I had a Navman for about 8years never updated maps after the first 90days ( thought it too expensive) never sent me the wrong way, now and again told me cross road ahead and turned out to be flyover or roundabout, the only reason discarded it was because the toggle switch started playing up. After long deliberation purchased a Garmin instead of a Navman and it does not matter how much I play with it it is still not as easy to navigate via different points in one journey as the Navman did.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Ventad - If you haven't updated the maps for 8 years (or even 1 year) then around my way then you could quickly get stuck. There are new roads, roads that no longer exist, blocked roads and changes to one-way streets (opposite direction).

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I can see what you mean but when we travel we try not to use motorways or dual carriageways whenever possible so that we see the countryside and towns instead of bypassing everything to get to destination as fast as possible, Hence the navigating via different points. To give you an idea to go by motorway from where I live to a certain city it takes me 35mins but we normally take about 2hours taking different country routes. And these routes do not get updated due to them being A & B roads.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Ventad - Many of these roads are not motorways or even dual carriageways eg there is a lane nearby which is now closed, different junctions appear and junctions are altered.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

May be the instructions are like Tome Tome, on screen help, check through settings on the Nav it may just say Help

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone