We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

can,t double click anything.

bobbybluenose
Resolved

Likes # 0

I cannot double click on any files > Programs at all, also lost the option to open when I right click lost msconfig, cannot run avg or spybot,limited downloads I have tried to fix these issues but not getting any ware,just going round in circles,I understand I have a virus which may have changed the registry ,when I right click I get the options > send to >cut >copy >create short cut > delete >rename > properties ,can anydoby point me in the right direction please as I do not have a windows cd therefore cannot format.o/s XP PRO

• Tags:
  • xp
Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

What happened with the Kaspersky disc would it not run.You may have to change the start up in the BIOS to start from DVD and not the hard drive.

Dr Web Cure it used to be fairly good at finding problems as well If I remember right you can run that in normal mode.

Or maybe try this.

Emisoft.

Like this post
bobbybluenose

Likes # 0

still no joy ran the scan found one registry entry deleted it ,still no double click or open when i right click.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Looks like you downloaded the 64 bit version of Hitmanpro try the 32Bit version.

Hitmanpro

Like this post
bobbybluenose

Likes # 0

still no double click or open when i right click,ran the trojan remover found i item deleted it still the same .

Like this post
bobbybluenose

Likes # 0

managed to run hitmanpro got rid of a loads of junk, not resolved the double click issue .thanks for all your help .

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Probably not the end of your problems once you reboot it may come back.Maybe give C Cleaner another run.I would also disable System restore and the next time you reboot start it again but would wait till others comment on it.

Have you managed to run msconfig to see if there are any programs running at start up that should not be there.

A good bargain from Emisoft Anti Malware. 3 user for £15.95 or a 1 user for £11.95.Emisoft

Try Run and type in REGSVR32 /i SHELL32.DLL and see if that helps the double click

Like this post
bobbybluenose

Likes # 0

managed to run Emisoft malware got rid of some nasty bits,tried running REGSVR32 /i SHELL32.DLL ,result for the run are,,DRegister and Dllinstall in shell 32. Dll succeeded.still no double click .

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Bobby

Have you by any chance got another mouse you could try? Just on the premise that it might be your mouse/mouse settings at fault.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

To me it is looking more and more like a mouse problem, have you got the latest driver?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

If your mouse is USB try changing the the USB socket that it is plugged in to, the comp should then load a driver for it in that socket.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?