We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Clock on PC is loosing time

mctrout

Likes # 0

The last few days the clock my PC has been loosing time. Since last night it has lost 7 hours 15 mins. I searched google to see what the cause might be & the two main answers I found were 1 the CMOS battery was draining & 2 the Motherboard was failing. I hope it is only the battery. But is there a way for me to find out if it is the Motherboard that is the cause. Thanks Mac

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Usually means you need a new CMOS battery how old is the computer.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you changed the time and date of the clock on the Taskbar,make sure it is set to Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London.

Also check the date and time in the Bios just to see if they are different.

Battery for £2 or £3 should be the first step just to see if that's the problem.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

What Jock1e said. It's much more likely to be the CMOS battery - especially if your PC is more than 2-3 years old - which is both cheap and easy to replace.

Like this post
mctrout

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies, The PC is 6 years old & it doesn't seem slow apart from the clock. I can run Photoshop CS6 on it with no trouble at all. Thanks again to all for replying. Mac

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

If it is a CR2032 Lithium, you can get 10 for £1.99 on Amazon, Post Free

http://www.amazon.co.uk/10-x-Maxell-CR2032-Batteries/dp/B000JJYZMG

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Or you can just buy one from the supermarket or chemist or poundshop, they will be on the stand with the other batteries. Cost about £2 each. CR2032 flat silver battery looks like a 10p coin but a bit thicker.

Do you know how to take the old one out? Some pc's have a clip to undo and often you need to prise battery free as it is a tight fit.

We are presuming you have a desktop pc and not a laptop. You don't want to inadvertently damage the clip so tell us the make and model of your pc and we can advise.

Like this post
mctrout

Likes # 0

It is a ASUS Motherboard & it is a Desktop.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

on the mother board you will find a coin size silver battery, that needs replacing. It should have a + plus sign on the top. You may need to grown yourself to stop eletric discharge using a strap or other method. open the case take out he old battery, and replace with new one.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

A failing CMOS battery wouldn't make your PC run slow, neither would it affect your ability to run the large majority of programs. Given your PC's age, and given the symptoms, that's definitely what it looks like.

I think finerty meant "ground" by the way... :-)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

While you are in there give it a good clean out amazing how much dust and fluff gets inside a computer.

Once everything is unplugged and you have it open maybe just hold the start button in for 20 seconds just to get rid of any static.

You are supposed to copy the Bios settings down in case of changes.I changed my battery on an XP machine without copying the Bios and it still worked fine on start up.

Maybe the quicker you change batteries the less chance of problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad