We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Not Starting, No POST Screen

Rob Gibson
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi All,

On pressing the power button the fans start and the red activity LED on the case flashes for a few seconds, but after that nothing else happens and the monitor remains blank except for a "No Signal" message (monitor generated).

On a normal start up the monitor shows the "Chilllblast" logo momentarily, before going on to the POST screen, etc.

Seems to me that the machine isn't even getting as far as the BIOS.

It is nearly five years old and I was thinking of changing it later this year, so won't want to spend too much on it!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Rob.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try switching off at the "mains". Remove the power plug to your PC and reconnect, making sure you push it in firmly. Switch on the 'mains' and try again. If it still fails it might be the PSU failing.

Like this post
Rob Gibson

Likes # 0

Thanks for that, but already done. PSU voltages seem ok too.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

How have you checked the PSU voltages?

It will be one of the connectors to your hard drive/ mobo sockets that's lose or damaged. Motherboard not getting power or, intermittently, is either bad PSU or damaged motherboard.

PSU voltages can be OK unless under load.

Like this post
Rob Gibson

Likes # 0

Hi,

Used a DVM and the voltages look ok as far as I can tell from the leaflet that came with the PSU. Have also tried re-seating the various plugs, etc.

I may be able to substitute the PSU, other than that I'm guessing it's the motherboard.

Thanks for your comments.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Is the CMOS battery on the motherboard OK - had the clock been losing time?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

One more trick to try. Has worked for others with XP and that age.

Power down and remove plug from mains socket....... as with rdave13

Then

Press and hold the power switch for at least 10 seconds. This discharges all associated circuits.

Finally, plug back into the mains socket again, fingers crossed and switch on.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

What mobo have you?

Like this post
Rob Gibson

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The clock has been ok, not losing time.

A friend has suggested I swap out the graphics card, but I can't see how this could be the problem. Anyway, I'll give it a go.

Another friend has a PSU I can try too.

Will report back.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You cannot check a PSU unless it is under load, as you will blow the PSU. You need to Probe the back of the Main PSU plug for Correct Volts when its connected and switched on. These are all low volts no danger in the above

I still think you have a Faulty PSU, if not the CPU is the next to check.

If the Old PSU did blow it can take out CPU and or Motherboard

Like this post
Rob Gibson

Likes # 0

Turned out to be the Graphics card!

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...