We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing the computer name/user name

hiwatt
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi folks.I got a new computer. I got a new computer that was already set up in the store so the computer was called after the name of the store.I went to computer/system properties and changed the name of the computer there but on the C:drive the main documents folder etc are still showing the name of the store?The same for task manager in processes/user name even though I have changed the name of the user account too?Any ideas how to fix this?Thank you.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

rdave13's answer is correct. Just make sure you copy over any data before you delete the old account although you will be given the option to "Keep Files" during that process. They will still be in the folder named after the store though!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmmm. On reflection, I do remember a thread some time ago where the conclusion was that the 'computer name' can't be changed.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 - The computer name can be changed on every Windows system I can remember back to W95. In this case it is the User Name and more importantly the default name of the folder in which the current users files are kept. Whilst you can simply go into users and change the name it becomes an "alias" and doesn't change the default folder name. The alias is then the login name at start up. You can't simply change the name on the folder either because the system is looking for the original default name. (Not without manually altering the registry anyway;0) - nothing would load correctly.

rdave13's answer is the only way I know to do this but you have to delete the original files just to remove any reference to the original user in the file system.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

taff - okay, thanks.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

With Xp you could go into the registry and change names. This was for XP. Change computer names

Now whether you can do that with W/7 I don't know.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I think hiwatt has already changed the name of the computer - see the original post "I went to computer/system properties and changed the name of the computer there" and then comes the "but" referring to the User Name problem which is entirely different.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Taff™

Ok thanks for that looks like I got it wrong again.

What happens if you go to user accounts and click on change user account name does that not work anymore.It still lets you do that in W/8.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just ignore that brain not working correctly yet.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks.Thanks for all the suggestions but as mentioned the only thing that will work is to create another account(Which I have)then delete the original one or reset to factory settings(Which I was reluctant to do)Thanks.

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

hiwatt , glad you're sorted and thanks for the feedback.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes