We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Copying DVD video discs to my hard drive

Likes # 0

Can anybody tell me how I can get home made dvds onto my hard drive

Like this post

Likes # 0

How did you make the DVDs?

Like this post

Likes # 0

Oops, How did you make.....

Posted by SillBill

Like this post

Likes # 0

It's the same procedure as for any file from an external source.

Put DVD in tray if it's the sort that autoruns, hold down the shift key while you put dvd in and all dvd drive activity stops, then it will not autorun OR just stop it running after it has started.

Open Windows Explorer | click on the DVD so that contents are displayed and select what you want and either rightclick and copy to a folder on your harddrive or drag n drop. Remember files will be 'Read Only' so if you want to change the title you will have to remove that from the properties of the file after you have copied it.

Like this post

Likes # 0

"same procedure as for any file...etc" posted by lotvic

(I forgot posters names are not showing today)

(I would presume that someone else home made the DVD's - like I do with family videos of grandchildren and family events and then let others borrow to copy them)

Like this post

Likes # 0

We should have asked if you only wanted the files on your hard drive or if you want to copy the dvd so that you could eventually burn your own dvd if you have a DVD burner on your pc.

There are various options depending on what you want to be able to do. It also depends on your OS (XP, Vista, W7?) and what software programs you have at the moment.

lotvic

Like this post
Dekka123

Likes # 0

Thank you all very much for your replies. You have solved my problem perfectly. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. Thanks again

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK