We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HELP!! Sumvision 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter SVW322P

whufc4ever76

Likes # 0

Hello Newbie here with a problem!

I have just installed a Sumvision Wireless N PCI card in my Desktop PC which is located upstairs in my home.

I want the PC to run wireless to my SKY Router which is located downstairs.

Everything installed ok (Drivers and Software interface), and along the top of the software, i have 2 mode options to use the wireless card: Station Mode or AP Mode

From reading the manual from the install disk, i see i am supposed to use Station Mode and it should search for WIFI signal, i choose this mode and it says the card is DISCONNECTED

Change to AP Mode, card says that connection status is GOOD, but i cannot see any way of searching for a WIFI signal via this Mode??

The PC was originally Hardwired via Ethernet cable to the Router when i used it downstairs, and i am using Windows Vista.

I am currently using a Laptop downstairs, which has no problem connecting over WIFI to internet.

Any help would be much appreciated as i am getting very frustrated with this!!

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If Station Mode is the correct mode and the card is "Disconnected", this probably just means that you haven't gone through the procedure to "Connect" to your wireless network (Router). How you do this varies between different versions of Windows.

Essentially, the PC needs to scan for Available Wireless Networks from which you select the one which matches the SSID (network name) of your Router. You then select the option to "Connect" to that network which, if secured by WEP/WPA/WPA2 encryption, will prompt you to enter the encryption key. Once entered, you should connect and have network and internet access.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Thanks for reply, i think when i go into Station Mode, it is supposed to search automatically (as there is actually a search option on one of the tabs) but the search button isn't highlighted to click!!

Would the fact of having the PC hardwired in beforehand make any difference at all?

Like this post

Likes # 0

Having had the PC connected by ethernet previously should not have any effect on your ability to connect wirelessly. In fact, you can actually have both "wired" and "wireless" connections running simultaneously, although one connection will take precedence for internet access.

Which version of Windows are you using?

[mgmcc]

Like this post
whufc4ever76

Likes # 0

I am using Vista on my PC

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If I remember correctly, Vista was similar to Windows 7 where there is a "network" icon in the System Tray beside the clock. Clicking that lists all of the Available Wireless Networks and you then select the one matching your router's SSID.

Like this post
whufc4ever76

Likes # 0

I have tried that, i had the system icon with a red cross on it, searched for wireless networks and it came back with "no network found" which really helps!

Like this post
whufc4ever76

Likes # 0

Yeah, thanks thutu10, thats really helpful, not......

Like this post
whufc4ever76

Likes # 0

Why are you sending me links to things that are totally irrelevant to this post?????

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Why are you sending me links to things that are totally irrelevant to this post?????:

Because every time it is Clicked He makes Money from it..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...