We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

playing a dvd on my laptop

mr orange

Likes # 0

Hi guy's, I would greatly appreciate any help in this area, i have a Sony Vaio laptop, model no:VGN A617B, i am looking to play dvd films on it while i am at work but when i stick the dvd in and it starts playing i get a green distortion all around the images, almost as if there is some sort of protection going on or something?. Is there a way around this problem just by activating a programme on the laptop or am i going to have to buy some sort of converter kit and download it. Thank's in advance for any reply's.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 1

What Program are you using to play the DVDs?

Like this post
mr orange

Likes # 0

Hi SillBill, Thank's for the reply, it gave me three options to play the dvd through. Windows Media Player, WinDVD and Sony Vaio Player. I opted for Windows Media Player purely because i have all my music stored on this on my home PC and i know my way around it. I wouldn't care which of the three to use to be honest as long as i can get one of them working.

Cheers.
Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 1

I can 100% recommend VLC Media Player, it will play anything you throw at it and if you still get that problem then it's your laptop at fault!

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Yes, it's all down to the codecs available to the player. Windows Media Player can't correctly play some dvd's.

I also recommend the free VLC player from videolan.org (it's so long since I installed it I can't remember if during the install you are also offered other free software, so be aware and look out for boxes to UNtick - almost all free programs will offer other stuff including toolbars, none of which you need)

Like this post
mr orange

Likes # 0

Cheers SillBill and Lotvic, thank's for the advice, i will give that one a go and let you know how i get on.

Thank's.
Like this post
mr orange

Likes # 0

Hey SillBill and Lotvic, Just a quick reply to let you know i tried the VCL Media Player download and it worked perfectly, well chuffed, thank's for the advice i know where to come if i have any more problems, cheers.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Always nice to get confirmation!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I know you're sorted but Win 7 codec pack will allow WMP 12 to play anything thrown at it. The only thing I must admit to miss on Windows 8 is the ability to use Windows Media Player to play DVDs. Never mind, some genius will, no doubt, get a codec pack for 8 at sometime in the future.

VLC is OK, I suppose, and I'm forced to use it, but my preference would still to be able to use WMP.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...