We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nvidia update problem!!

Housten

Likes # 0

Dear Sirs,

I am hoping somebody will have the knowledge to help me with an Nvidia problem.

I was informed yesterday that not only had Nvidia discovered a serious problem with their software but that they had a solution for it,and I should immediately download the file and install it on my computer. As I have an ‘Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT’ graphics card with 256 MB on board ram, with – according to the ‘Nvidia Control Panel’ in my computer’s Control Panel – ‘Driver Version 270.61’ I thought I should do so promptly. But when I tried to update – as I thought my driver – the Nvidia file couldn’t find the previous Nvidia on my computer!!! I just feel that I have done something wrong or that Nvidia have let themselves down by writing a bad bit of software.

Just to let you know what I have done after I download the file – 169 MB!!!! – I got it to run straight away. It installed itself – I think – in the folder which it decided upon and it installed the files. Then it said ‘checking system compatibility’ and then said I didn’t have any Nvidia products on the computer by showing a graphic which had the heading ‘System Check’ and alongside it ‘Nvidia Installer cannot continue’, another heading of ‘License Agreement’ and alongside that ‘The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware’!!

So I then downloaded the file and saved it. Then, today, I went through my hard drive and thought I had found two alternative folders, and tried running the file again. But I got the same result again!

The fact that I appear to have an Nvidia driver on my computer but that Nvidia are so bad at writing updates that their software can not find it, itself is very troubling. There may well be a way of determining the folder that ‘Nvidia Control Panel’ is in from the details listed in their ‘Nvidia Control Panel’, but I can not see how to get at this information, which may be the only way I have of finding out where to install the update.

Any comments/information/advice you could give me would be very gratefully received.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd,

Good Afternoon,

Many thanks for your last post. I have said before - and will no doubt say again - but if I don't have the onset of Alzheimer's then it is dementia. My wife is not looking forward to what I will be like in 5, 10 or 15 years, assuming I live that long!! So simple staight forward instructions are best, and that is exactly what you have given me, so maqny, many thanks for that indulgence. Whether I bother doing it is another matter, as I have already said my scren is performing - as far as I am concerned - perfectly adequately!!! I will probably not bother, but a big thank you to everyone who took the time and trouble to post their thoughts on this.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

My good lady would wish that I took heed of that saying but I am more of a "If it ain't broke,upgrade it." lol.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I am tempted to say "Housten we have a problem" but it now seems to have been resolved without doing a thing! You have control. One small step for man.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd and northumbria61,

Good morning, Gentlemen,

As I said eaarlier, and repeated by Chronos the 2nd, I am going to leave everything as they are. The risk thst I will 'muck' something up is fairly substantial, so it is gratifying that that seems a sensible choice!!!

Many thanks to everyone who has submitted a post/opinion on this. If I knew how to - having tried in another post - to tick this as resolved I would, so I hope everyone will understand.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Housten

Clicking one of the big Grey ticks on the right usually does the trick! (if it turns Green)

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

SillBill,

Good Afternoon,

Well........10/10 for your reply, which I had tried before, I am certain. But just tried again with a .........0/10 result!! i.e. 100% failure!!! I do not know whether it is my computer, IE9 or the forum/web site, but work it will not!!! HEIGH!! HO!!!!

Housten

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Oh, well, you are not alone with that problem!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...